• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can the government get away with not paying people on time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swalsh411

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nationwide

Below is an example of guidance that has been distributed to Federal workers. How can the government get away with this? Do they have immunity from laws that say you have to pay your employees on time? If any private employer tried this the DoL (or the unpaid workers themselves) would haul their butt to Court in a heartbeat.

I am asking specifically about employees who worked but will not be paid on time.

Excepted/recalled employees:
Employees can expect to receive pay for hours in a paid status (worked or approved paid leave) for September 22 -30, 2013. Employees will not be paid for work performed after September 30, 2013, until subsequent FY2014 appropriations are enacted. Pay for the remainder of the pay period (October 1 – 5) in a duty status will be paid retroactively once appropriations are enacted.

tranquility

It's good to be king.

Frankly, there are many things that anger me more. You'd almost think the Constitution is a suggestion and not a limitation.

OHRoadwarrior

It is a suggestion, it started in the 60's.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
An anchor baby is not subject to the jurisdiction of the US, if its parents are illegal. You have to argue sovereignty of nations does not exist. It only becomes subject to US jurisdiction after it is given citizenship.
It's good to be king.

Frankly, there are many things that anger me more. You'd almost think the Constitution is a suggestion and not a limitation.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nationwide

Below is an example of guidance that has been distributed to Federal workers. How can the government get away with this? Do they have immunity from laws that say you have to pay your employees on time? If any private employer tried this the DoL (or the unpaid workers themselves) would haul their butt to Court in a heartbeat.
.[/I]

do you realize the irony of your statement? The DOL would....

commentator

The keyword here is ON TIME. Also, you must remember, the government is working essential employees. They are not working without a paycheck, any more than you are not getting your social security disability or retirement check. There are some employees whose paychecks are being held, but not for any illegal length of time. But those who are not getting paid at all are those who are not reporting to work. Believe me, the government knows what they can do and stay legal. Why not, they made the rules!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The only authority I can think of that can tell the government that what they are doing is illegal, is the US Supreme Court.

And even if we accept your premise as true, the workers will have been paid long before a case can work its way to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">