• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can this be????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sicktomystomach

State of NEW JERSEY.
How can a wife of just under five years leave a house, take all the contents with her (i allowed her) and now she decides she will not contribute towards the mortgage? we purchased the house together. Both of our names are on the deed, however only my name is on the first and secound mortgages. she paid the mortgage the first year and i paid the the last three years. Her money covered my truck payment, quad payment all insurances and food.
Now that she left she is not willing to pay anything and I cant afford all my bills, she is now living with her brother and pays him rent. Im going to end up lossing all my things, the house and end up with bad creidit ! I tried to talk with her about this and she refuses to answer phone calls or textsa messages. I then receive a phone call from my attorney stating i better not call or text her any further or i could be served with a T.R.O. being a police chief i know all about restraining orders and now ive stopped my bothering her.

my question. How can a person walk away and not be held for their share of the bills until the house is sold or if Im able to purchase it? it seems so unfair that im "stuck holding a leaky bag" as she is able to start her new life. We have no children together but we each have three from prior marriage. she is law also and now a combat veterian. Once she learned she would be getting 100 percent disability from being in iraq, making over 75000.00 from corrections, and getting child support she left !! I watched her kids and worked my fulltime job (swing shifts at the time) while she was at war and this is my thank you for a job well done. This woman used me for every part of that word (used). and she almost came right out and told me. I only knew her for mabie six months prior to marring her as we moved fast because of her departing to a war zone. ::( thanks

Zephyr

I'm sorry to sat this, but right now the only one legally obligated for those mortgages is you. Is it possible to sell it?

sicktomystomach

sell the house`

we owe more than what the house is worth, she orginally put 100,000.00 down but we spent alot of money while married (me ) and we owe 495000.00 and the house may only bring 400-450?

LdiJ

we owe more than what the house is worth, she orginally put 100,000.00 down but we spent alot of money while married (me ) and we owe 495000.00 and the house may only bring 400-450?
Your only real option is to do some serious downsizing. You need to take your budget down to necessities only. Your credit is the only credit that is going to get hurt if you allow the house to go into foreclosure or if you have to take a short sale, so figure out what you can get rid of so that you can make the payments.

sicktomystomach

room mate and down sizing

had placed some adds and nothing came out of it. also selling would be nice but the market is at a stand still here and with the taxes being 12000.00 a year theres no one running to buy this place!!! guess im screwed !!! great

mistoffolees

I'm sorry to sat this, but right now the only one legally obligated for those mortgages is you.
That is correct.

However, once he gets around to filing for divorce, he may be able to get the court to order her to reimburse him for some part of the expense.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That is correct.

However, once he gets around to filing for divorce, he may be able to get the court to order her to reimburse him for some part of the expense.
Not if he is the only one living there and he is keeping the property that is going with the debt.

LdiJ

Not if he is the only one living there and he is keeping the property that is going with the debt.
And for his own sake, he really should be trying to stay there, so that he can sell in a few years when the market starts recovering.

He really needs to downsize. He mentioned a Quad, and he definitely doesn't need the Quad nor its payment. That is the first thing he should get out from under. I bet if he really looks at his budget, there is quite a bit more that he could get rid off without dramatically effecting his lifestyle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">