• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How difficult to obtain documentation of sole custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajkroy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. My son is 14, and I was single when he was born. DNA testing was completed to prove paternity, which established child support only. Custody and visitation were never addressed, and my ex never sought either. Son has never had contact with his father and I received occasional child support payments for the first few years; none since 2003. Ex has dodged every attempt to collect support and I currently have no idea where he is.

I understand that as a single parent, I am the sole custodian of my son since birth. But I don't have any documentation of such. I would like to obtain a passport for him so we can travel, which requires either permission from the NCP or court documentation stating I have sole custody. Could anyone advise me of the process to do this? I assume I'll have to petition the local family court. Should I hire a lawyer? The last lawyer I hired told me I would require my husband to adopt in order to get a passport, but that is not an option now. It also seems an excessive and expensive way to get a passport.

If it is just a matter of filing and requesting an order from the judge, I think I can manage it without a lawyer. But how can I prove that Ex has not be involved Son's life? DOR closed out the child support case years ago.

I am open to any ideas or suggestions. Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. My son is 14, and I was single when he was born. DNA testing was completed to prove paternity, which established child support only. Custody and visitation were never addressed, and my ex never sought either. Son has never had contact with his father and I received occasional child support payments for the first few years; none since 2003. Ex has dodged every attempt to collect support and I currently have no idea where he is.

I understand that as a single parent, I am the sole custodian of my son since birth. But I don't have any documentation of such. I would like to obtain a passport for him so we can travel, which requires either permission from the NCP or court documentation stating I have sole custody. Could anyone advise me of the process to do this? I assume I'll have to petition the local family court. Should I hire a lawyer? The last lawyer I hired told me I would require my husband to adopt in order to get a passport, but that is not an option now. It also seems an excessive and expensive way to get a passport.

If it is just a matter of filing and requesting an order from the judge, I think I can manage it without a lawyer. But how can I prove that Ex has not be involved Son's life? DOR closed out the child support case years ago.

I am open to any ideas or suggestions. Thank you.
The prior attorney was completely wrong. All that you need in order to be able to get the passport is a court order showing that you have sole custody.

Find another attorney. Since dad has had absolutely no contact with the child for 14 years, and hasn't paid child support for 6 or 7 years, this should not be a major ordeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">