• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I keep my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kooth

What is the name of your state? Utah
My wife is filing for divorce and is moving out of our house. She wants her half of the equity and she said that I need to have an appraiser appraise it then refinance it. Any and all advice would be appreciated. I've heard that I don't have to give her her equity until I sell it or get remarried. The divorce papers say that I have to sell it after 15 June, but I haven't signed anything yet.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Kooth said:
What is the name of your state? Utah
My wife is filing for divorce and is moving out of our house. She wants her half of the equity and she said that I need to have an appraiser appraise it then refinance it. Any and all advice would be appreciated. I've heard that I don't have to give her her equity until I sell it or get remarried. The divorce papers say that I have to sell it after 15 June, but I haven't signed anything yet.
Well you heard wrong. You owe her her equity when the divorce papers say you do. Even if you don't sign it, the judge can order that. Your wife is entitled to half of the equity that has accrued during your marriage (or whatever the court orders). When you refinance it to get her name off the mortgage that is considered a sale. Also until her name is off the deed of the house she still owns it. She should not quitclaim it until you refinance. So how long do you want her to have control over what you do to the house?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">