• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I properly file a notice of appeal in a District Court Civil Case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

US District Courts (Civil) - (I have several lawsuits going right now which are unrelated to eachother.)

I am a pro-se litigant in a 42 U.S.C. 1983 action in federal US District Court of California that was recently dismissed on a clearly erroneous legal standard. I am therefore going to be filing an appeal in the matter very soon. My question is this: When I file the notice of appeal, am I required to submit all of the legal arguments that I submitted in my objections to Magistrates findings and recommendation? Or do I wait until I file the opening brief in the 9th Circuit court of appeals? I am assuming a notice of appeal is just that, merely a notice that I am appealing the dismissal. Am I correct in thinking that I needn't submit all the grounds for the appeal in the notice itself? Most of the notice of appeals I have found online filed in various District Court’s are very short and only provide notice that they are appealing the decision and do not specify the grounds for the appeal itself. AM I REQUIRED TO SPECIFY THE GROUNDS FOR THE APPEAL IN THE NOTICE OF APPEAL?

Last edited:

latigo

I suggest that you spend less time groping around in cyber ether and more time studying the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure and make a tinkering effort to level the playing field.

That is, unless you believe the attorney(s) for the defendant(s) are likewise mystified and are dependent on anonymous advice.

Also that you seriously consider the 16th President’s admonishment about a pro se litigant having “a fool for a client”.

Ironically he happens to the same person most responsible for the statute that the "fool" you represent has failed to implement.

davidmcbeth3

Its just a notice .... not a brief .... see the appellate court (or call the clerk) to see how many copies of pleading & copies of transcripts need to be filed with the appeal.

There must be some reason for the notice requirement ... seems to be a waste of paper .. maybe its to give notice to the other party?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">