• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you get your blood test results?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyitsme

What is the name of your state?
California

I had my blood drawn for a possible dui, and I still haven't received any results/heard anything. It has been 23 days.

I got a letter from the DMV stating that my license will be suspended starting May 29, unless my results come back under .08. I got that letter probably about 2 weeks ago.

How exactly is one suppose to obtain their results, and what is taking so long?

mrstox

I think you can call the arresting agency (lapd or chp in your case) and get the results. I had my blood taken at the county jail and they gave me a sheet of paper with the vial number and a phone #. I called the phone # and dialed in the info and some automated voice said my results. This took 3-4 days after the arrest. Also, there was a website on the sheet of paper. I would give you the phone # and website but I think it was only for orange county.

heyitsme

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately I know LA and OC are very different. My lawyer was telling me that in OC you can get your results online and/or by telephone (like you said). Not so with LA. I have a lawyer and I'm pretty sure he said you have to wait until your arraignment date (mine isnt until June 25th) or until dmv sends you something in the mail. I just thought the dmv would have sent something by now....

I have a feeling if I were to call the agency they wouldn't tell me anything over the phone. I've called asking them a couple other questions and each time I get the run around and nobody seems to know up from down over there.

mrstox

Did you lawyer even set up a dmv hearing to fight the suspension or at least try to get you
a license that allows you to drive to/from work?

heyitsme

Yeah, my lawyer set up a DMV hearing, so all is ok there.

I have a temporary license that the officer gave me. It expires 1 week from today. I'm assuming my lawyer wont be ready for the dmv hearing within the next week (not because he's a bad lawyer, but because he has to get all of the "discovery" as they call it - bac results, police report, any video, etc. etc.) which can take a really long time.

Last time this happened to me the dmv just kept extending my temporary license until we actually had the hearing and the issue was resolved.

CdwJava

"Last time"?

I would hope that you learned that drinking and driving don't mix well together.

As for the blood test results, YOU won't generally be able to obtain them ... your attorney can, however. Most agencies won't release that to the defendant, though they CAN if they choose to. Most choose not to.

- Carl

heyitsme

"Last time"?

I would hope that you learned that drinking and driving don't mix well together.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I hate responses like this. "Last time" the officer completely lied about EVERYTHING in my case. I had 2 beers with dinner and then drove home 3.5 hours later. Don't try and label me as someone who gets behind the wheel drunk because I don't do that. Instead, an officer of the law decided to tamper with evidence, lie about everything and try and get me charged with something I wasn't guilty of. Luckily for me, he was proven to be a liar and it was found that I was in no way under the influence.

Of course, absolutely nothing happened to him, punishment wise.....meanwhile I had to spend thousands of dollars for a lawyer to bring this cops lies to the surface. THIS is why I don't trust cops now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">