• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do I have to pay Alimony if married over 10 years?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

That's a much better analogy. I think you meant the employers insurance account.

I think there just might be a market out there for alimony insurance.

When the benefits run out, you get back to work or starve.
In my state its called the employer's experience account. I don't know why, that's just what its called. Although I can tell you that the lower the amount of claims against the account, the lower the employer's tax rate becomes.

mistoffolees

You can't find anything in the real world even close to being comparable with alimony. The whole alimony concept is outdated and needs an overhaul. Women wanted equal rights and now they have them. They have the right to work for a living just like a man. In fact if a man and woman apply for the same job, if both their qualifications are equal, the job goes to the woman. So now the man who owes alimony can't pay it and goes to jail.
You are, of course, ignoring the fact that rights ARE equal under alimony laws.

If I meet a rich doctor who wants me to stay home with the kids while she works, I'm just as eligible for alimony as she would be if the situation were reversed. It has absolutely nothing to do with gender.

Or what about the case where a woman works 2 jobs to put her husband through med school and the day after graduation, he divorces her. She didn't make a contribution worthy of compensation?

The principle is simply a recognition that contribution to a marriage is not limited to the paycheck that a person receives. And the fact is that the majority of lawmakers accept it in some sense (at least as recognized the number of states which allow alimony. Note that in most states is it has to be demonstrated that the receiving spouse is entitled to it - it's not automatic.

If you don't like it, write to your legislators. Or, there are a lot of countries in the Middle East that don't have alimony where you could easily move to.

Bali Hai

You are, of course, ignoring the fact that rights ARE equal under alimony laws.

If I meet a rich doctor who wants me to stay home with the kids while she works, I'm just as eligible for alimony as she would be if the situation were reversed. It has absolutely nothing to do with gender. BULL ******* crap!!

Rich doctors, rich lawyers and HOLLYWOOD are WHY the BS alimony laws are in place today. It doesn't mean that's RIGHT!!

Or what about the case where a woman works 2 jobs to put her husband through med school and the day after graduation, he divorces her. She didn't make a contribution worthy of compensation?

She VOLUNTEERED to do that. You can't legislate STUPIDITY!!

The principle is simply a recognition that contribution to a marriage is not limited to the paycheck that a person receives. And the fact is that the majority of lawmakers accept it in some sense (at least as recognized the number of states which allow alimony. Note that in most states is it has to be demonstrated that the receiving spouse is entitled to it - it's not automatic.

That is entirely up to an ELECTED judge!!

And I would like to point out that you can get differing opinions (judgements) from different judges on the SAME EXACT CASE!!

If you don't like it, write to your legislators. Or, there are a lot of countries in the Middle East that don't have alimony where you could easily move to.
That's your BS comeback for every STUPID conservative law that you uphold. Well guess what, your notion of the law is subject to change, and, I would like to be there to see how you handle it!!

Length of Alimony

Florida-I thought that alimony was created to help the spouse get on their feet...either go to school or train for a job in order to take care of themselves. In my opinion it should be 3-5 years. This for life alimony, causes the spouse to have no incentive to improve whatsoever. Why should they when they have a meal ticket. On the other side, the ex who is paying the alimony has to turn down added work as then his pay will increase and she will want even more and the courts will give it to her so the state does not have to step in and support her "in the style she is accustomed to". It is time for the lazy ones to accustom themselves to a more reaosnab:cool:le life style. My partner has.

ecmst12

Don't hijack other people's threads. Start your own thread if you have a question, but if all you want to do is rant, find another board.

acmb05

State of CA. I am going through a divorce after 16 years of marriage. My soon to be ex does not work right now but will be going through a vocational evaluator to get her back to work.
Which is a very good reason to ask for a specific number of years for Alimony.

My Attorney states that since my marriage was more than 10 years I would be responsible for paying Alimony for life, Is this True? I thought that it depended on how long I was married and would have to pay for 1/2 the time so If married for 16 years would have to pay for only 8 years.
You may not have to pay it that long. Fight for as short a time as possible. Do not let your attorney talk you into agreeing to a lifetime commitment. Give all the facts to the judge and let him decide.

Can someone verify this for me please? How would this change if she re-marries or gets a job?

Thanks, Jeff:confused:
I'm pretty sure if she remarries she loses it.

LdiJ

Florida-I thought that alimony was created to help the spouse get on their feet...either go to school or train for a job in order to take care of themselves. In my opinion it should be 3-5 years. This for life alimony, causes the spouse to have no incentive to improve whatsoever. Why should they when they have a meal ticket. On the other side, the ex who is paying the alimony has to turn down added work as then his pay will increase and she will want even more and the courts will give it to her so the state does not have to step in and support her "in the style she is accustomed to". It is time for the lazy ones to accustom themselves to a more reaosnab:cool:le life style. My partner has.
So, what happens if someone kicks a 60 year or older housewife to the curb, for a younger model? Or a seriously disabled spouse of either gender, after a long term marriage?

What if they were married for 30 years and had always been in agreement on how life should be led?, and then suddenly one of them wanted a divorce?

Or, what if one of the spouses worked two jobs to put the other through medical or law school and then got kicked to the curb?

acmb05

So, what happens if someone kicks a 60 year or older housewife to the curb, for a younger model? Or a seriously disabled spouse of either gender, after a long term marriage?
Then seriously a lifetime commitment to Alimony should be granted.

What if they were married for 30 years and had always been in agreement on how life should be led?, and then suddenly one of them wanted a divorce?
So lets say the husband worked those 30 years so wifey could stay home with kids. You honestly think she deserves to be supported by him for another 30 years if they split up? Give her Alimony till the youngest turns 18 then she can fend for herself

Or, what if one of the spouses worked two jobs to put the other through medical or law school and then got kicked to the curb?
Then pay alimony for as long as they worked to put them through school. Turn about is fair play. Why should someone who worked for 6 or 8 years be able to get alimony for maybe 40 years? Give it to them for the same 6 or 8 years and that's it.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Then seriously a lifetime commitment to Alimony should be granted.

So lets say the husband worked those 30 years so wifey could stay home with kids. You honestly think she deserves to be supported by him for another 30 years if they split up? Give her Alimony till the youngest turns 18 then she can fend for herself
After a 30 year marriage the kids are going to be long gone from the home. So, you think a 50-55 year old woman (the age of someone who had been married 30 years) should be kicked to the curb with nothing, but a 60 year old should get lifetime alimony? That makes no sense.

Then pay alimony for as long as they worked to put them through school. Turn about is fair play. Why should someone who worked for 6 or 8 years be able to get alimony for maybe 40 years? Give it to them for the same 6 or 8 years and that's it.
That could be fair, again depending on age. I have never thought that someone young should get lifetime alimony.

If someone is still young enough to go to school and to work for enough years to amass a viable retirement, I am all for giving them alimony for only enough time for them to get educated (or re-educated) and to start a viable career.

However, if someone is old enough that they won't even be able to work for at least 10 years after getting educated, they won't be able to support themselves in their old age.

acmb05

After a 30 year marriage the kids are going to be long gone from the home. So, you think a 50-55 year old woman (the age of someone who had been married 30 years) should be kicked to the curb with nothing, but a 60 year old should get lifetime alimony? That makes no sense.
Well I was speaking more about the disabled part of that. I should have clarified

That could be fair, again depending on age. I have never thought that someone young should get lifetime alimony.

If someone is still young enough to go to school and to work for enough years to amass a viable retirement, I am all for giving them alimony for only enough time for them to get educated (or re-educated) and to start a viable career.

However, if someone is old enough that they won't even be able to work for at least 10 years after getting educated, they won't be able to support themselves in their old age.
Ok but at what age do you decide that. People are working into their 70's and 80's. So in theory a 50 year old still has 20 to 30 years to work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">