• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long do you pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

I did, they told me it's the law. I try calling a lawyer and they want to charge, I thought I would try this first, I had no idea what kind of response I would get on here, sorry to piss people off on here.
It IS the law in NY. And of course an attorney would charge you: so would a plumber or your electricity provider.

nextwife

Geesh! Answer MY question. Did you have an order in your state for mom to pay CS? D8od you have legal custody? This is important, because it could affect jurisdiction, if there was already a case in MI.

Did you fail to do ANY research before letting her ship off to NY to live with mom? Why is it NOW a surprise to you that NY CS goes to 21?

LdiJ

If I could only predict the future, I would be rich also. She's not from NY, she just moved there a couple of years ago. I just think it's a bunch of crap to pay support until my child is 21. What about health insurance? My insurance will not cover over 18 unless she is in college somewhere.
Just to make a point....it wasn't so many years ago that nobody was considered to be a legal adult, in any state, until they were age 21......and not too much more than 100 years ago no one was considered to be a legal adult until they reached age 25....particularly women.

So...its not all that strange that NY does not consider people to be legal adults until they are 21. Its frustrating for people who pay child support, and/or for people who have to be legally responsible for their children's acts...but its not as unusual as it sounds. I am 50, and I was of the very first generation of people who got to be considered legal adults at age 18.

The year I turned 18 was the very first election where an 18 year old could vote..or at least it was still brand new....and that is when 18 began to be the legal age of adulthood.

The bottom line is that very few 18 year olds are in a position to fully support themselves...and its in the best interest of this country that as many of our children as possible achieve higher education.

There is also a serious conflict in law when it comes to welfare and educational assistance. An 18 year old absolutely cannot get welfare or any higher educational assistance without their parent's incomes being part of the mix...and in many states they can't even apply for any kind of assistance if they are under 22, without their parent's incomes being taken into consideration. In my opinion that is also incredibly unfair.

Many people here say that no one should be guaranteed a college education...they should take out loans etc., and do it themselves...

That is all great and well, but the law doesn't allow them to do that in many cases.

chjochel

Geesh! Answer MY question. Did you have an order in your state for mom to pay CS? D8od you have legal custody? This is important, because it could affect jurisdiction, if there was already a case in MI.

Did you fail to do ANY research before letting her ship off to NY to live with mom? Why is it NOW a surprise to you that NY CS goes to 21?
nextwife my email is [email protected], I don't want to give out anymore details on this site but would really like to talk to you to get some input.

nextwife

I am sorry, but I do not email posters from my home email. I will PM through the website mail, if you have a contact email set up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">