• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does unpaid debt stay on record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrated12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

Once an account is written off how long can it stay on your credit report if you don't pay it?

Child support arrears have been also reported. The mother was on welfare for a long time and didn't notify the father. When she finally did he owed arrears. He's been paying them by wage garnishment every month. The agency reported his arrears as a bad debt. Can they do this if he's paying the set amount each month? He's been paying on it for over a year and they just reported it a couple months ago. Does anyone know why they would do this?

I was considering paying off my student loan while I'm in school before it draws interest. Will this be reported to my credit report or do I have to wait until it goes into repayment for a paid in full to be reported? If it's reported how much would that improve my score to pay off early?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">