• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long should it take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carofl93

State is FL.

My husband was involved in 2 separate auto accidents resulting in 2 separate suits. First accident was in November of 2004. Second accident was in January 2005. Suffered whiplash in the first (was rear ended) and a second, worse case of whiplash in the second (rear ended yet again by a psycho driver who ended up hitting a school bus after hitting hubby). He was diagnosed with a cracked vertebra after an MRI after the second accident. Retained an attorney after the first accident, and went to the same one after the second. Attorney hemmed and hawed around trying to decide if he was going to go after the first party or the second party. Attorney finally decided to go after both for damages.

We now have chiropractor bills and other medical bills stacking up. Each time he calls the attorney or makes an office visit, he seems to be fed a line of bull about how the other parties insurance aren't returning the information requested or he is told that the attorney's assistant isn't in the office, and they never return a call.

Do any of you know how long this can be drawn out? We aren't looking for the big bucks here, just want to pay off the medical bills and atty fees.

Thanks,
Carol

Litigation!

carofl93 said:
State is FL.

My husband was involved in 2 separate auto accidents resulting in 2 separate suits. First accident was in November of 2004. Second accident was in January 2005. Suffered whiplash in the first (was rear ended) and a second, worse case of whiplash in the second (rear ended yet again by a psycho driver who ended up hitting a school bus after hitting hubby). He was diagnosed with a cracked vertebra after an MRI after the second accident. Retained an attorney after the first accident, and went to the same one after the second. Attorney hemmed and hawed around trying to decide if he was going to go after the first party or the second party. Attorney finally decided to go after both for damages.

We now have chiropractor bills and other medical bills stacking up. Each time he calls the attorney or makes an office visit, he seems to be fed a line of bull about how the other parties insurance aren't returning the information requested or he is told that the attorney's assistant isn't in the office, and they never return a call.

Do any of you know how long this can be drawn out? We aren't looking for the big bucks here, just want to pay off the medical bills and atty fees.

Thanks,
Carol

My response:

When you have a question about law, or a question that doesn't require a crystal ball, then c'mon back!

IAAL

carofl93

I'll try again, with a better question (I hope). I know there is a statute of limitations for filing a case, but is there a statute of limitations for the information being passed between the attorney and the other parties?

zippysgoddess

No, no limitation on that, you have the right, also, to get a different attorney, or to contact the insurance companies involved to check on the claim status.

More than likely this will all end up going back to the first accident, as his neck would be considered weakened by that one and the second accident just caused an aggravation and further damage to a pre-existing injury.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">