• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How many miles for a move to cause a change to plan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustinLukas

What is the name of your state?CA

My ex and I have decided on joint physical custody of our son who is in daycare. I am planning on moving out of the San Francisco, about 20 miles north where it is a bit more affordable, but still considered part of the SF Bay Area. Can my ex contest this move or is there a threshold for miles that is permissable?

VeronicaGia

JustinLukas said:

My ex and I have decided on joint physical custody of our son who is in daycare. I am planning on moving out of the San Francisco, about 20 miles north where it is a bit more affordable, but still considered part of the SF Bay Area. Can my ex contest this move or is there a threshold for miles that is permissable?
So you have actual 50/50 custody? Are you considered the residential parent? in any event, I doubt she could contest a 20 mile move.

LdiJ

JustinLukas said:

If your orders aren't finalized yet then everything is still up for grabs so yes your ex could decide NOT to agree any longer to the joint physical custody if you are going to be moving. 20 miles isn't far, but it could really complicate things once your child starts school...particularly if rush hour traffic is going to be a factor.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Have you thought about how that will impact things once your son starts school - where he'll attend and how he'll get there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">