• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much can rent be raised?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

How much can rent and share of utilities be raised?

What is the name of your state? California

My ex left and gave his notice. In August the landlord (who is not the owner, but actually renting from the owner himself, yet is still considered LL) and I listed the extra two rooms in this house for rent. (Very common in this area) We listed the two rooms on Craigslist for $800 for both, or $600 for one. The remaining was to be split between me and the landlord. Utilities would also shift from the LL paing all to utilities being split into thirds.

We found a new person and he moved in September 1st. He took both rooms, one for him, one for his son. So $800 off the $2000 rent total leaves $1200, divided in half for $600 for me, $600 for LL (LL lives downstairs in this house). So this is what I paid on September 1.

A week or so after the LL said he doesn't think this is fair, that he thinks we should all pay 1/3, despite the new guy having half the bedrooms in the house and LL having the entire downstairs. I said that if he wants to charge the new guy 1/3 that I'm not going to pay any more than $600 because New Guy moved in agreeing to $800. I didn't hear anything more about it until last week when LL told me my rent for this month is $675.

One week of notice. And I didn't agree to it. AND he told me I'm 100% responsible for the PGE and such. He write a week ago that the rent is $675 and I owe $75 for "utilities" (which weren't specified, and as it was written as plural, I took it to be my share of all shared utilities-electric, water, garbage, etc., we're on our own for phones and internet service), and today he told me I have to pay for all of it.

What I need to know is whether I am on the hook for $675 and 100% of the PG&E when I didn't agree to this.

No, nothing in writing, but I do have a copy og the posting starting two rooms for $800 and 1/3 utilities, which the other guy has.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">