• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how much is fair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jojo1

3 weeks ago a truck hit me,the driver of the truck admit that hi atfault.owner of the truck or company called me to pay for everything,medical bills etc.i was injured and still on theraphy.i recieved call yesterday from the truck owner asking me to how much do he have to give me for my pain and suffering.please advise.

Blueicedmd

personal injury car accident

I was rear ended at a red light and have a torn ligament in my back as well as 2 herniated discs in the back and neck. I'm told I can only sue for the amt the other driver has in auto covg minus atty fees and medical . but if he has assests can they be tangible to pick up the pieces as i am now disabled to work due to this damage and how will they attach the asests as they send off the demand package?

I am a mother and am the primary bread winner for my family

I feel helpless

mlk1978

jojo1 said:
3 weeks ago a truck hit me,the driver of the truck admit that hi atfault.owner of the truck or company called me to pay for everything,medical bills etc.i was injured and still on theraphy.i recieved call yesterday from the truck owner asking me to how much do he have to give me for my pain and suffering.please advise.

You can try to sue for what ever you need for medical bills and any pain and sufferring you now have. There is no specified amount. Talk to a lawyer, he/she will be able to tell you an appropriate amount to shoot for.

moburkes

Blueicedmd said:
I was rear ended at a red light and have a torn ligament in my back as well as 2 herniated discs in the back and neck. I'm told I can only sue for the amt the other driver has in auto covg minus atty fees and medical . but if he has assests can they be tangible to pick up the pieces as i am now disabled to work due to this damage and how will they attach the asests as they send off the demand package?

I feel helpless
You should start a new thread for your question. This way the original poster can have his questions answered, and so can you, without any confusion.

mlk1978

Blueicedmd said:

I feel helpless
I think you meant to put this on your own thread, but since it is hear I will tell you what I think.

As I said to the previous poster. You can sue for whatever amount you need for medical bills and pain and suffering (if any). It CAN be over and above the other drivers policy limits. However, the amount you will collect if you sue for above the limits will most likely just be amount of the policy limits. If the judge awards a larger amount, the other driver will be responsible for any money that is over and above his limits. They can be put on a payment plan, or you can have leins put on his property or have their wages garnished.

jojo1

thanks for the advise.the problem is he doesn't want me to get a lawyer,he want it to be settled right away which i agreed before.he already paid for the damages of my car,what should i do?is it ok to get a lawyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">