• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How often should one contact their lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I am involved in a lawsuit against an automobile insurance company. In late August of last year I retained a very well known and respected law firm to handle this suit. And I have no doubt as to their ability to effectively handle my case. The case is very open and shut due to a previous case (stare decisis) that addressed the core issues and such. In fact, I really can't see this matter getting past the filing for motion of summary judgment. Furthermore, when I talked to the owner of the firm he told me this would take months not years. (I talked to the lawyer and told her the owner told me this, and I considered months to mean under 24 months, until settlement, and she said this sounded right)

So my question is how often should I contact the law firm for updates on the case without wasting their time? I figure the less I contact them the more time they have to work on the case. BUT I don't want this case to go "bad" by MY lack of knowledge. As of now I do not think the case has been filed because I have not been asked to do a deposition, or anything beyond signing release forms.

Also, is it better just to contact the lawyers paralegal for all status updates and other misc. questions? If so, when then would you need to speak with the lawyer? (sorry if that is to broad of a question)

Hope this post makes sense, if not please ask me to clarify.

tranquility

Keep track of the various deadlines in the case and ask an appropriate time (differs, depending on the deadline) beforehand if there is anything they need from you. The number one complaint from clients of attorneys is lack of communication. They should be calling you regularly and not the other way around. Oh well...by the way, you don't have to speak to the attorney. You can speak to a paralegal or knowledable administrative person to get updates.

Thanks for the reply.

Just for your info, I sent a email to my lawyers paralegal and she then forwarded it to the lawyer... oh well :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">