• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How old do you have to be to make money online?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oreoahoy

What is the age requirement for making money online in the United States. I have seen reports saying 16, but sites like youtube fiverr etc you have to be 13. Asking as I am starting a website and need to know what age I should set for people to sell something.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Start by understanding that in the US a person under the age of 18 does not have the legal capacity to make a contract. Therefore, anybody who does business with a minor risks having the minor disavow the contract or agreement and the person stands to lose whatever benefit he thought he was getting from the contract. There are some exceptions where a minor can be bound by his contract but they aren't relevant to your question.

People would be reluctant to do business with a minor if they knew the age of the minor.

On the other hand, a minor who doesn't reveal his age can do business at any age as long as he does so honestly and satisfies his customers.

How you, in particular, plan on making money online would determine whether you will be able to do it or not.

What do you have in mind?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the age requirement for making money online in the United States. I have seen reports saying 16, but sites like youtube fiverr etc you have to be 13. Asking as I am starting a website and need to know what age I should set for people to sell something.
There is no minimum age. However, for minors (which are those persons under age 18 in most states) there are extra limitations the minor needs to clear to do it. For example, minors generally are unable to enter into binding contracts with the result that many people will not bother entering into contracts with them. There are things that can be done to help overcome those limitations that adults would not have to do, but it is at least possible for a determined/talented minor to make money.

There are minimum ages in each state, however, for minors to be able to work as employees for others, as well as restrictions on what kind of work they can do and how many hours they can be employed.

quincy

oreoahoy, do you have an adult who can work with you until you are no longer a minor?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
oreoahoy, do you have an adult who can work with you until you are no longer a minor?
I'm not sure that oreoahoy is the minor. He/she said that the concern is:

Asking as I am starting a website and need to know what age I should set for people to sell something.
This suggests that the OP is setting up something like an eBay selling platform where others would offer goods/services for sale and the OP is concerned about what age limit to set for the sellers using that platform. Some more details on what the OP plans to do would be helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">