• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to acquire NY non-identifying medical info re: birth parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fenderbender

What is the name of your state? NY
I am trying to find out how to have the Court open sealed documents about my birth parents' non-identifying medical information.
I have non-identifying info from the agency that I was adopted from 37 years ago, but my mother did not put her name in the registry for me to find, which is fine.
However, now that I am a father of 3 children from 3-9 years old, with different health problems, as well as me with my own, I have asked again how to get such info.
First I wrote to the Court, & was told I needed a verified petition. Couldn't really figure out what that was all about, no google search turned anything like that.
Then I was told to have an attorney petition a New York State Court to appoint a medical guardian to search for available medical information. The medical guardian may be given access to sources of information such as hospital records that are not available to the Adoption Registry.
Can any of this be done without an attorney? I once defended myself in a case brought against me by 2 Wash DC attorneys, & I won. Is it possible? Or do I get somebody else? I have searched for area attorneys, but the ones i tried were not interested.

fenderbender

Open Court Records!!!

You telling me nobody here knows how to get medical records of birth parent without disturbing their right to withhold any identifying info?

nextwife

FYI- Even non-adopted kids don't necessarilly have medical info from their parents. Hubby's dad died shortly before he was born (from a non-health issue, he was shot during military service) and his dad's family was unaccessable in the Soviet Union, so he, too has no medical info from dad.

This site has many resources for adoptee information.

http://naic.acf.hhs.gov/adopted/obtain/index.cfm

My own kiddo was adopted from an orphanage, no father ever named, mom long gone before I adopted her, so I have never looked into this. The only med info the orphanage had was her biomom's age, that it was a full term, uneventful pregnancy, and that mom had been pregnant 4 times previously. That was it. Many adoptees, unfortunatly, just will not have access to such info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">