• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find out beneficiary of deceased's policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlondiePB

you can always go to court and fight to become guardian of your brother
And, that will cost a whole lot of money.

Quite frankly, there's something amiss in this thread that can/will be cleared up when the OP answers my question regarding her brother being an adult or a minor.

BlondiePB

Have you discussed this matter with your disabled brother to find out perhaps if HE signed any paperwork regarding this matter or if he knows whether he received a check as beneficiary from the insurance company?
Just what part of THE GUARDIAN RECIEVES THE MONEY ON BEHALF OF THE WARD don't you understand?

BlondiePB

In truth, this has nothing to do with who was the bene. If OP believes the guardian is acting improperly, there are systems in place to address that but it is not going to make any dofference to know who the bene is for those actions.
I totally agree. Dandy Don is clueless about the duties, responsibilities & powers of a guardian/conservator and needs to stop posting to these threads about guardians because I end up correcting 99.9% of his replies that are wrong.
Originally Posted by justalayman
Hi Blondie. How ya been?
Pretty good, thank you. Been spending a lot of time in water lately (pool & ocean). Have a sister visiting & we're going snorkeling again this morning.

I would be starting to move home except for the fact that we have termites. I reported them to a BOD-not last month & was told that "no one else is complaining, it's an isolated incident". Someone must have sent them there termites an invitation to just only come to my condo. Stupidity is infinite.

Last week, a former BOD-not told my attorney that these BOD-nots fabricated & fudged Association records. I'm guess-timating that they embezzeled, misused/misapproprated $400,000 - $500,000. I have had access & copied a lot of Association records. They found a way to temporarily stop me just when I was to access & copy records when the insurance monies hit the bank account. I did copy the bank statements & they don't lie. :D

How are you & yours doing?

KatrinaK13

more detail******************************************..

Sorry. My brother is an adult. He was in a car accident 18 years ago and has traumatic brain injury. Although he cannot hold a job for long (gets bored, gets fired, etc.), he lives on his own with only minimal help (besides financial). He only gets $460/month disability because he never really worked before the accident. My mom put in the estate that my brother-in-law was "guardian" of his share of the estate (and he DOES NOT have to account for how he spends it) and in the meantime he has been to court to make it legal. This happened BEFORE I knew he told my brother about being responsible for more bills.

momm2500 you can always go to court and fight to become guardian of your brother

How much money and how long a process would that be? It does make more sense, since my brother lives down the road from me and I've been "assisting" him with his needs for the last 10 years. (The executor lives in New York).

The main reason I started this thread is because If I KNEW for sure that his "guardian" received the money for my brother from the insurance and he is hiding the fact, then I would have a reason to want him removed as guardian.

Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:

BlondiePB

Sorry. My brother is an adult. He was in a car accident 18 years ago and has traumatic brain injury. Although he cannot hold a job for long (gets bored, gets fired, etc.), he lives on his own with only minimal help (besides financial). He only gets $460/month disability because he never really worked before the accident. My mom put in the estate that my brother-in-law was "guardian" of his share of the estate (and he DOES NOT have to account for how he spends it) and in the meantime he has been to court to make it legal.
Your BIL is full of crap. He could not be your brother's guardian of anything until the court issued him a court order making him the guardian. Furthermore, your BIL has to account to the court your brother's estate left to him by mom beginning with an initial inventory of what mom left to him in her will and then an annual accounting to the court for every penny of your brother's assests.

This happened BEFORE I knew he told my brother about being responsible for more bills.
And, just how exactly does BIL expect your disabled brother to be responsible for more of your brother's bills? It is the guardian's duty to acquire any and all means (i.e. gov't subsidies) for your brother and provide for your brother's well-being with your brother's monies.
B]momm2500 you can always go to court and fight to become guardian of your brother [/B]

How much money and how long a process would that be? It does make more sense, since my brother lives down the road from me and I've been "assisting" him with his needs for the last 10 years. (The executor lives in New York).
From what I've read, momm2500 isn't "up to snuff" with guardianships. A person who knows the most about adult guardianships here on the forum is myself. Even other members notice the void of my specifics for posters when I'm on a hiatus.
The main reason I started this thread is because If I KNEW for sure that his "guardian" received the money for my brother from the insurance and he is hiding the fact, then I would have a reason to want him removed as guardian.
He cannot hide that money. It has to be accounted for to the court in his annual accounting report for your brother. If BIL did not place the money in the guardian account for your brother, your BIL is in big trouble. How long ago did your mother pass?
Thank you for your help
You're very welcome.

BlondiePB

She passed away the end of December. :(

Thank you so much for the info. I feel a lot better!!:)
Okay, but what about this?
Originally Posted by BlondiePB
And, just how exactly does BIL expect your disabled brother to be responsible for more of your brother's bills? It is the guardian's duty to acquire any and all means (i.e. gov't subsidies) for your brother and provide for your brother's well-being with your brother's monies.
P.S. There's been plenty of time for an initial inventory to have filed for the court for your brother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">