• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to fire attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foreverprecious

What is the name of your state?Calif.
IF I KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW.....WOULDN'T BE HERE.

THis is on a criminal case. Courts have listed it as 2 strikes but it's only one strike.....I told my attorney from the start there was enough evidence to show I'm innocent. The attorney has failed to provide adquate council. Turns out he is not a criminal defense attorney, he has just had a couple of criminal cases. Other than briefly reviewing the case he has done nothing. He never even got my whole side of the story. So here I am less than 24 hours before I have to deceide to take a plea or go to jury ON THE 12TH and take a chance of going to prision the rest of my life. The attorney had even told me when I hired him that there was no reason why it wouldn't get dismissed, just with the few facts I told him.....I have a call in to the top criminal defense attorney in town, but he is booked solid......they are trying to get me in, because of whats happened......WHAT CAN I DO.....? .....WHY WOULD AN ATTORNEY EVEN HAVE YOU WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO A PRILIM, KNOWING IT WOULD LOCK U INTO TAKING A PLEA OR GOING TO JURY, WHEN IT'S LISTED AS 3 STRIKE? I COULD SEE IF MAYBE YOU WHERE A MURDERER AND DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE DEFENSE HEADS UP ON WHATS GOING ON. THIS IS REALLY MESSED UP.

THANK YOU

HomeGuru

foreverprecious said:
What is the name of your state?Calif.
IF I KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW.....WOULDN'T BE HERE.

THis is on a criminal case. Courts have listed it as 2 strikes but it's only one strike.....I told my attorney from the start there was enough evidence to show I'm innocent. The attorney has failed to provide adquate council. Turns out he is not a criminal defense attorney, he has just had a couple of criminal cases. Other than briefly reviewing the case he has done nothing. He never even got my whole side of the story. So here I am less than 24 hours before I have to deceide to take a plea or go to jury ON THE 12TH and take a chance of going to prision the rest of my life. The attorney had even told me when I hired him that there was no reason why it wouldn't get dismissed, just with the few facts I told him.....I have a call in to the top criminal defense attorney in town, but he is booked solid......they are trying to get me in, because of whats happened......WHAT CAN I DO.....? .....WHY WOULD AN ATTORNEY EVEN HAVE YOU WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO A PRILIM, KNOWING IT WOULD LOCK U INTO TAKING A PLEA OR GOING TO JURY, WHEN IT'S LISTED AS 3 STRIKE? I COULD SEE IF MAYBE YOU WHERE A MURDERER AND DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE DEFENSE HEADS UP ON WHATS GOING ON. THIS IS REALLY MESSED UP.

THANK YOU
**A: thank you for writing and good luck.

Kane

If your attorney is retained (paid) you can fire him at any time.

If he's court-appointed, it's up to the judge.

Whether to give you a continuance - to give you more time - is up to the judge.

garrula lingua

If you pled to two 'strike' charges (at the same time, or at different times)you have two strike priors and you are facing your third strike (potentially life sentence).

You have to work hard at being a violent criminal to earn two strikes.

Third strike defendants are normally very anxious to receive/take an offer from the DA.

If you're a third striker, I doubt if it made any difference that you waived the Preliminary Hearing;
the threshhold of proof at PH is pretty low - you would have been held to answer & you would be in the same position. (don't bend over & I hear the women are worse than the men...but, oh - you know prison life, you have two strike priors).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">