• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get Debt Collectors to stop sending mail on Debt that is pass SOL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I received a letter yesterday from a Debt collector who is trying to collect a debt for his client (which looks like another debt collector) on a debt that is pass the statute of limitations. Also, lately I have been receiving phone calls from a different debt collector about another debt that is pass the sol also. How can I get them to not to send the letters and to stop calling without starting the clock again? Thank you.

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I received a letter yesterday from a Debt collector who is trying to collect a debt for his client (which looks like another debt collector) on a debt that is pass the statute of limitations. Also, lately I have been receiving phone calls from a different debt collector about another debt that is pass the sol also. How can I get them to not to send the letters and to stop calling without starting the clock again? Thank you.
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/blog/debtcollection/
Find the letter you want, change it to fit your facts and send it.

Should I mention Debt is pass SOL

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/blog/debtcollection/
Find the letter you want, change it to fit your facts and send it.
When I reply with the cease and desist letter should I mention that the I wish them to stop contacting me about the debt is because it is pass the statute of limitations?

ecmst12

The SOL is a defense to a lawsuit, nothing more. It being expired does not mean they can't continue collection efforts. You can send them a cease and desist and they will sell it to another collector who will do the same thing. Nothing else you can do unless you are sued at which time you assert the SOL defense in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">