• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband changed locks to house and mailbox

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justaguest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I moved out a few weeks ago, we have separation papers signed by us but not yet gone to court. Husband has changed locks on the house and this morning I discovered he changed the mailbox lock. I have a call in to the lawyer but would like to know if he can do this before we are legally separated?

mistoffolees

You've already moved out, you've signed the legal separation papers, but you're just waiting for a final hearing. (I'm assuming that the legal separation agreement is that he keeps the house).

Seems to me that whether he has the legal right to do that or not isn't really the issue. The deal is done - live with it. Some things serve no useful purpose other than to stir up a hornet's nest.

As for the mail, why didn't you have your own mail forwarded when you moved out a few weeks ago?

If it's a matter of some of your belongings that have not been transferred, ask him when you can pick them up and if he refuses, you'll have to deal with it at the final hearing.

Justaguest

still would like an answer

I have my mail forwarded to my PO box, but as of last week I've run into issues with the mail being sent back to the old address. He also made the statement that as of last week, everything in the house now belongs to him. Could someone tell me if what he's doing is legal?

Justaguest

Yes, everything is spelled out who gets what. I will be giving him my share of the house in exchange for other things. But I was under the impression that until the agreement goes to court/signed by whomever, my name is still on the deed and I should still have access to the house and mailbox. He seems to think he can do whatever he wants.

mistoffolees

Yes, everything is spelled out who gets what. I will be giving him my share of the house in exchange for other things. But I was under the impression that until the agreement goes to court/signed by whomever, my name is still on the deed and I should still have access to the house and mailbox. He seems to think he can do whatever he wants.
It's not legal, but it's also not worth fighting about. Tell him you want your things back and if he won't give them to you, you ask for them at the final hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">