• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband was picked up for DV and I need advice please.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jail is NOT prison -- different places entirely. How familiar are YOU with the Ohio courts? How much jail time?
I hope you are never unfortunate enough to spend time in either place. But you may want to take a tour if such a program is available. In many states the Jails are worse than the prisons. Consider Arizona.

he may have insurance that would cover his counseling.
He may not have insurance at all.

He may lose the insurance when and if he loses his job over the DV accusation.

What is your legal background? You have no clue. NONE.
My legal background comes from personal experience, and a lot of reading which I suggest you do.

Wrong. The OP making a request is NOT going to lift the restraining order.
I didn't say that. I said a judge can certainly reverse a restraining order especially if the victim requests it. And it is a very simple process. Go sit in on arraignments if it is possible and you may see this take place right before your eyes. Then stand up immediately and tell the judge and victim or defendant that they cannot do what they just did. You can start a whole new arguement about it right there in court.

Really? In jail he is treated like a caged animal? Is he in jail? I didn't see where he is in jail at all now.
If he was arrested he certainly could of been jailed and I suspect that was the case as many police departments have pro-arrest policies to begin with.

In Jail you will be caged, you may find yourself in harms way, it is not a dignifying experience.

Last edited:

Again... you are incorrect.

I suggest you look up the term "Jury Nullification".

You will see absolutely no mention of a Jury's ability to overturn existing law. Juries simply do not have the training or authority to debate the legality or constitutionality of a law itself.

Allow me to state plainly... no jury has the authority to judge a law as fair or wrong.

they simply do not.

Ever.

Really, if you have no idea what a legal term means, you should look it up first.
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to educate you.

Jury Nullification:

Jury nullification occurs when a jury in a criminal case acquits a defendant despite the weight of evidence against him or her.[1] Widely, it is any rendering of a verdict by a trial jury which acquits a criminal defendant despite that defendant's violation of the letter of the law—that is, of an official rule, and especially a legislative enactment. Jury nullification need not disagree with the instructions by the judge—which concerns what the law (common or otherwise) is—but it may rule contrary to an instruction that the jury is required to apply the "law" to the defendant in light of the establishment of certain facts.

Historical examples of nullification include American revolutionaries who refused to convict under English law,[3] juries who refuse to convict due to perceived injustice of a law in general,[4] the perceived injustice of the way the law is applied in particular cases,[5] and cases where the juries have refused to convict due to their own prejudices such as the race of one of the parties in the case.[6]

In effect, Jurors can absolutely Judge the law. In may not be worded so boldy, but that is absolutely the case with JN. Again, thank you so much for allowing me to further educate you and other people who visit this site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">