• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I agreed to pay too much

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BL

I'm still wondering who took turns cleaning , the hours each put in ,and the minutes of each break and what they had to eat & drink during those breaks ,and also last but not least ,who slacked off and watched the rest ?

fayesplease

I have no idea why you are answering as you are. You say one thing in the beginning of your post and then say you don't really care at the end. From your phraseology, I'm also starting to think you are not a U.S. citizen. That does not make what has gone on wrong from your position, but it makes this unpaid internship a bit more clear.

Frankly, I'd be done with it all and tell everyone to just move on. If they want to sue you, let them sue you. They're not going to get more than the damage you've done. Sure, there is a possibility they could get the agreement amount. (I still hesitate to call it a contract, but it certainly could be.) But, the more you write, the more doubtful I am that they would want to sue you over it.

Frankly, because you seem so trustworthy, I just want you to know I am also a minister of a small African country that happens to have some funds tied up in a U.S. bank. Please PM me with your contact information, including your bank account numbers and I will transfer this money to you. You will then allocate that money to a government representative--after taking your 10% expediter's fee of course.
I'm sorry. I meant that I didn't if we interns were mostly just free labor.

I am a U.S. citizen. I'm not the best writer.

Minister, I would be most pleased to help you out with your dilemma but my funds are tied up in this dilemma right now. Sooooorrryyyyy. :D

fayesplease

Property damage is a risk you take when you bring on unpaid interns. Unless it was deliberate I don't think you owe him anything. I would stop paying immediately and let him sue you.
No, it wasn't deliberate. He told me it could happen to anybody and he wanted to give me another one to use the next day. I told him I didn't feel up to it so soon but I still let him talk me into using another one instead of getting my own. I finally insisted on giving it back a few days later.

tranquility

It seems you have a perfect understanding of the situation whether I was being vague or not.

I agreed to pay a certain amount because that's the amount he asked for. I didn't do any homework on the subject and I thought that the law doesn't protect you just because you don't do your homework but I wanted to get some advice and be sure.

I discovered he's probably asking too much because I've been working to try to find a replacement or repair the property somehow before my last payment is due. I've been talking to people about this. My mentor had other items of the same type and age from this client and I found out that my mentor advertised them online as being for sale. I had my friend call up my mentor and ask what he wanted for them and that's how I find out how much he really thought the property was worth.
After the begging and the pleading for more, THAT is funny.

Here's my theory. fayesplease is an unpaid intern for the local pot farmer who has many contracts with different, um, patients and co-operatives. One of those patients loaned fayesplease his bong or vaporizer. While assessing said bong or vaporizer, for medical purposes, fayesplease pass the Dutchie pon the RIGHT hand side; thus catching his fellow intern by surprise--causing damages.

Antigone*

After the begging and the pleading for more, THAT is funny.

Here's my theory. fayesplease is an unpaid intern for the local pot farmer who has many contracts with different, um, patients and co-operatives. One of those patients loaned fayesplease his bong or vaporizer. While assessing said bong or vaporizer, for medical purposes, fayesplease pass the Dutchie pon the RIGHT hand side; thus catching his fellow intern by surprise--causing damages.
Darn it tranq, you cannot bartend at FA on the Roof and smoke that stuff at the same time!:p

LdiJ

It seems you have a perfect understanding of the situation whether I was being vague or not.

I agreed to pay a certain amount because that's the amount he asked for. I didn't do any homework on the subject and I thought that the law doesn't protect you just because you don't do your homework but I wanted to get some advice and be sure.

I discovered he's probably asking too much because I've been working to try to find a replacement or repair the property somehow before my last payment is due. I've been talking to people about this. My mentor had other items of the same type and age from this client and I found out that my mentor advertised them online as being for sale. I had my friend call up my mentor and ask what he wanted for them and that's how I find out how much he really thought the property was worth.
Ok, I am completely done. I gave you the opportunity to be specific and you declined to do so. Deal with your problem on your own.

fayesplease

I really want to thank you all for helping me deal with my problem. It's nice that I don't have to go through this all on my own.

I think, from what I have learned here, I will gather my cajones and tell my mentor that I think he asked me to pay too much and that I won't pay him anymore unless he has proof that he actually did give the money to the client like he said. If he wants more payment, I'm willing to part with my bon---jovi mix tape but no more cash!

swalsh411

I wouldn't even do that. Tell him you have paid what you consider fair and if he wants more he will have to sue you. I doubt he will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">