• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am 20 and she is 17

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enderwarrior

I will keep that in mind to walk in zig zags my girlfreind is going to want the baby to be at my house due to the enviroment at her house how would that go over? both her parents smoke profusly in the house and she does not want to be there is she is pregnaut with a child and does not want her child to be in those conditions.

quincy

If your girlfriend turns out to be pregnant, and wants to move to your home to avoid the smoke in her own home, you and your girlfriend would need to go to court first. She cannot just move in with you without her parents' consent.

New Jersey has a Juvenile Family Crisis division, that deals with family problems such as the ones you and your girlfriend may face. You can, and probably should, contact the Juvenile Crisis Intervention Unit for assistance. The JCIU can make a determination about home placement, based on the best interests of your girlfriend (and baby), and could potentially arrange for your girlfriend to live away from home, if living with her parents is detrimental to her health or the health of the baby. Without obtaining a court order for emancipation, however, she will probably need to live in an adult-supervised setting.

Both she and you are responsible for the support and care of your child (her parents are responsible only for your girlfriend and not for your baby), and you have the right to make decisions on your own child's behalf, including how the child will be raised. Your girlfriend can receive financial help, during her pregnancy and later to help care for the child, through Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), but only if she lives in an adult-supervised setting, such as with her parents, until she is 18.

enderwarrior

My home is with my parents, I live under my parents. i just dont think her mom would allow her to move in to my house for that reason, though my parents would let her. We have the extra room. And i am able to support both the child and her under my parents household. My girlfreind still plans to finish HS and still go to college. And i will always support her in that becuase she is such a brilliant person (besides our **** up)i alrdy have a few jobs lined up becuase if she is ill be working and saving money like crazy. she wants to get a job but i tell her to wrry about school and the baby. it will be an interesting 2008 for us

>Charlotte<

Lurker
hey..how much white did you get in cowhampshire??
That's either an obscure reference that I don't get, or you think I live in New Hampshire.

I'm a Carolina girl. We used to get snow all the time. Not anymore. :( Last week when everybody was getting hammered by blizzards? It was sunny and 80 degrees here.

quincy

enderwarrior -

Yes, enderwarrior, it will, most certainly, be an interesting 2008 for you! :)

If you still live at home with your parents, the JCIU may consider allowing your girlfriend to live with you and your parents, if this helps avoid the health dangers of smoke during the pregnancy, and conflict between your girlfriend's mother and you. My understanding is JICU works with the entire family (or families) to come to a peaceful solution to any crisis, before the crisis gets out of control and winds up in court. It is something to consider, at any rate.

I applaud, by the way, your girlfriend's decision to finish up high school and continue on with a college education. It is great goal. And you are wise to be looking for jobs so that you can provide the support that will be necessary if you have a child. Good luck to both of you!

Just Blue

That's either an obscure reference that I don't get, or you think I live in New Hampshire.

I'm a Carolina girl. We used to get snow all the time. Not anymore. :( Last week when everybody was getting hammered by blizzards? It was sunny and 80 degrees here.
OMG! I thought you were in NH....Guess I'm having a "blond" moment...:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">