• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a huge tax problem and its affecting my health.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

copasetic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Az

In 2006 I was the manager at a company and I terminated my receptionist. In retaliation a few months later she had men jump me in a parking lot and attempt to kill me. They put a hammer through the back of my head and I had to have life saving brain surgery. I only had a 53% chance of survival. I was pretty much confined to a bed and a chair for a year. Needless to say I couldn’t work and couldn’t earn an income. I was setting the finance industry on file working my way all the way up to the national manager of a company. Then this happened and it was all gone. Year to date as I write this I have not made a single penny. A lot of my memory is gone including why I didn’t file taxes certain years and more importantly all of my receipts and write-offs are gone because of the quick move across the country that my family had to help me with before I went under. I am a 34 year old man and had to move back in with my mother because I was going under. The Dr said that it will take years for me to fully recover and stress would hinder my recovery. I owe the Az department of revenue several thousand dollars and there are years that I didn’t even file taxes that they are leaving me slide a bit on at the moment. I had a payment arrangement with them and a few months ago with obviously not making money I had to let it go and I still haven’t contacted them. At one point it was so hard for me to make payments to them that I had to sell my microwave to make the payment. I told them I was going to do this while they knew I was making no money and they just said go ahead. So I did. They also had all the proof in their hands about me being a victim of attempted murder and the condition I am in. They even had an official letter from the city of Phoenix that I was a victim. The IRS who I have apparently gone like 6 years without filing or paying much before my surgery has been a bit easier on me. But now they are getting tough. They gave me until this Friday to get all of my taxes done and I can’t because all my receipts are gone and I have no money to go get them prepared. All I want is for them to give my brain more time to heal and then I will handle it. I work a commission job because of my health I have to work from home. I just got a new job and I know good money is right around the corner because my health is coming back. All I need is for them to give me maybe 6 more months to recover and take care of business. This is stressing me out so much that I am having major pains in my head and its hindering my recovery. I have no money to go to a Dr so I can’t get medicine to help me. My point is that if I can get the IRS off of my back and allow me to recover worry free I will get this handled. The Az department of rev I don’t know where to begin since they already made me sell my microwave and I just went flat broke. Please help. Thank you in advance for your help.

tranquility

I hope IRSOS is still here to guide, but this seems like it's possible for an effective administration of taxation Offer in Compromise candidate. Actually, you could probably check all the boxes on the request form.

See a tax professional or search the internet for offer in compromise.

xylene

You do not owe taxes on the income you didn't earn after your TBI and surgery.

You failed to file personal and perhaps business taxes BEFORE you were assaulted.

The assault and its impact on your subsequent earning capability does not offset your tax debt.

You owe the taxes even though your brain injury robbed you of the means to earn money to pay them.

The pursuit of an offer in compromise is a good one.

If you are permanently disabled - which is the case if your recovery is measured in years - you should contact the social security administration and apply for disability so that you can have an income to provide for your needs.

Good luck, I feel for your difficulty in dealing with the government after a severe injury.

As a consumer adviser I must state that that you would have had these problems without the injury. If you fail to file taxes, and worse still failed to pay taxes owed with those filing years... any taxpayer can expect problems. Now you are just unable to solve them.

davew128

I hope IRSOS is still here to guide, but this seems like it's possible for an effective administration of taxation Offer in Compromise candidate. Actually, you could probably check all the boxes on the request form.

See a tax professional or search the internet for offer in compromise.
I disagree for many reasons.

1) No returns have been filed. If no SFR has been prepared, then the amount of liability has not even been established.
2) Any OIC requires that a settlement offer be made. OP has nothing to offer. Literally.
3) A MUCH better alternative given the situation is to get the IRS agree to temporary non-collectible status. I have used this in the past with a late taxpayer in much the same situation (stroke victim). Up until the point of his early death, much of his outstanding liability expired due to the collection SOL and the IRS basically called once in a while to verify his status (permanent disability) and income and didn't hassle him.

OP, I doubt very much the AZ DOR "made" you sell your microwave for the $20 it would have gotten you on Craigslist. Find someone willing to work your case pro bono and resolve this.

xylene

Income vs assets

OP, I doubt very much the AZ DOR "made" you sell your microwave for the $20 it would have gotten you on Craigslist. Find someone willing to work your case pro bono and resolve this.
That sounds like hyperbole.

Not having any income as the poster claims is not the same as having no assets.

irsos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Az

In 2006 I was the manager at a company and I terminated my receptionist. In retaliation a few months later she had men jump me in a parking lot and attempt to kill me. They put a hammer through the back of my head and I had to have life saving brain surgery. I only had a 53% chance of survival. I was pretty much confined to a bed and a chair for a year. Needless to say I couldn’t work and couldn’t earn an income. I was setting the finance industry on file working my way all the way up to the national manager of a company. Then this happened and it was all gone. Year to date as I write this I have not made a single penny. A lot of my memory is gone including why I didn’t file taxes certain years and more importantly all of my receipts and write-offs are gone because of the quick move across the country that my family had to help me with before I went under. I am a 34 year old man and had to move back in with my mother because I was going under. The Dr said that it will take years for me to fully recover and stress would hinder my recovery. I owe the Az department of revenue several thousand dollars and there are years that I didn’t even file taxes that they are leaving me slide a bit on at the moment. I had a payment arrangement with them and a few months ago with obviously not making money I had to let it go and I still haven’t contacted them. At one point it was so hard for me to make payments to them that I had to sell my microwave to make the payment. I told them I was going to do this while they knew I was making no money and they just said go ahead. So I did. They also had all the proof in their hands about me being a victim of attempted murder and the condition I am in. They even had an official letter from the city of Phoenix that I was a victim. The IRS who I have apparently gone like 6 years without filing or paying much before my surgery has been a bit easier on me. But now they are getting tough. They gave me until this Friday to get all of my taxes done and I can’t because all my receipts are gone and I have no money to go get them prepared. All I want is for them to give my brain more time to heal and then I will handle it. I work a commission job because of my health I have to work from home. I just got a new job and I know good money is right around the corner because my health is coming back. All I need is for them to give me maybe 6 more months to recover and take care of business. This is stressing me out so much that I am having major pains in my head and its hindering my recovery. I have no money to go to a Dr so I can’t get medicine to help me. My point is that if I can get the IRS off of my back and allow me to recover worry free I will get this handled. The Az department of rev I don’t know where to begin since they already made me sell my microwave and I just went flat broke. Please help. Thank you in advance for your help.
The returns need to be filed first. Then it will be easy for a professional to get the account put in a non-collectible status. A decision can then be made about an Offer in Compromise for doubt as to collectibility. This is a routine case.

copasetic

I do not have any assets at the moment. I do not want to go on social security because I am very close to a complete recovery. I am just trying to get them to give me more time to get back on my feet. ANd the person that said he doubted the Az rev made me sell my microwave. You are wrong. I called them and told them I am recovering and cant afford to make this months payment. I said the only thing I have of value is my microwave and I can sell that. They told me do what I have to do to make the payment so I did. I would love to have more time and recover so I can hire a pro to handle this for me. I just called them and they gave me just 10 more days. I know I owe a tax obligation and will pay it. But I just need time to heel so i can do this properly.

irsos

I do not have any assets at the moment. I do not want to go on social security because I am very close to a complete recovery. I am just trying to get them to give me more time to get back on my feet. ANd the person that said he doubted the Az rev made me sell my microwave. You are wrong. I called them and told them I am recovering and cant afford to make this months payment. I said the only thing I have of value is my microwave and I can sell that. They told me do what I have to do to make the payment so I did. I would love to have more time and recover so I can hire a pro to handle this for me. I just called them and they gave me just 10 more days. I know I owe a tax obligation and will pay it. But I just need time to heel so i can do this properly.
You are spinning your wheels. In ten days you will be no closer to a solution. You need to borrow money or get a gift from a family member to hire a professional now. Then you can relax.

davew128

ANd the person that said he doubted the Az rev made me sell my microwave. You are wrong. I called them and told them I am recovering and cant afford to make this months payment. I said the only thing I have of value is my microwave and I can sell that. They told me do what I have to do to make the payment so I did.
The short version, they raised their voice and you decided to sell your microwave. They did not come and take it, they did not get you to sign a contract, they did not put a gun to your head.

Two people have told you now exactly what needs to be done. I think there is more you're not telling us, but frankly it makes no difference.

copasetic

The short version, they raised their voice and you decided to sell your microwave. They did not come and take it, they did not get you to sign a contract, they did not put a gun to your head.

Two people have told you now exactly what needs to be done. I think there is more you're not telling us, but frankly it makes no difference.
Frankly,
I dont appreciate the fact that you are calling me a liar. No the Az Rev didnt put the gun to my head. They said if thats what i need to do to pay them then do it so I did. I understand that I need to get these taxes done but I am trying to find my writeoffs clear across the other side of the country. After having your head split open and brain surgery and being confined to a chair and a bed for a year it does take time to re gain your mental and physical fortitude. I guess the only way you would understand would be if it happened to you. But I am a person of god and would never wish that on anyone. The people here that gave me good advice it is much appreciated. For the guy that told me I am basically a liar. You had no basis to say anything like that and I take it to offense. Everything I said in this email is documented. The IRS has copies of everything that happened to me. All of this is true. Im not here to be judged. I am here for advice. I need to get past this so I can recover and not have stress and this is what I am trying to do.

davew128

Frankly,
I dont appreciate the fact that you are calling me a liar. No the Az Rev didnt put the gun to my head. They said if thats what i need to do to pay them then do it so I did.
liar - Google Search
Any questions? Might I also suggest you google the word "Gullible"? A rational person in your situation with no money and no assets in response to a DOR rep saying that would say, "Or else you'll what?", not run off to a swap meet for quick cash.

For the guy that told me I am basically a liar. You had no basis to say anything like that and I take it to offense.
You are aware I read the forum and have a name (and was one of those people who gave you good advice, but I guess since I am not a man of god, it doesn't count)? If you take offense to critical words, get over it. Fast.

copasetic

liar - Google Search
Any questions? Might I also suggest you google the word "Gullible"? A rational person in your situation with no money and no assets in response to a DOR rep saying that would say, "Or else you'll what?", not run off to a swap meet for quick cash.

You are aware I read the forum and have a name (and was one of those people who gave you good advice, but I guess since I am not a man of god, it doesn't count)? If you take offense to critical words, get over it. Fast.
Im here for help not to argue and so far I got alot of good help on this forum. I have much appreciation for that. You can read your own words and figure out why I was upset. If you cant then no big deal. Bt thank you for your time in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">