• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I keep getting debt collection calls...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I keep getting collection calls from a shady collection company...I ask what I owe and they can't tell me anthing more than the name of the credit card company and can't provide any more info past that outside of a balance..I can't recall ever having had this credit card so I ask for some proof of the debt and Habib on the other end of the phone just starts calling me names..tells me I am a terrible person and a huge pile of goat dung..tells me that I will be arrested if I don't pay right now so I offer to turn my self over to the local police and he tells me that I am a bad seed and I will strucjk down by lightrening if I don't pay him now..I just hung up and am waiting for the police to arrest me...funny stuff...these forgien collection guys are a joke...

StephenH

First of all, it is UNLIKELY that the police are going to arrest you for this. After all, collection agencies sometimes try shady (sometimes even illegal) tactics to get you to pay them. Debts are a CIVIL matter, not a criminal matter. What they CAN do is take you to court and get a judgment and then a wage garnishment (if allowed in your state), a bank levy, or seize assets sometimes.

If they are impersonating law enforcement, they may have committed an FDCPA violation, and you may have a defense in court or another offense to file a counterclaim on. Also, you should notify the police department they are impersonating as well and let them know of this tactic.

TigerD

I thought about helping this poster and correcting the misleading advice the OP was given -- but I just can't get past the racist remarks.

No help for you. Next.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">