• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I may be being abused -- definitely financial abuse.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
we both wear rings -- we were supposed to be "common law marriage" ...he tells everyone we are married. And begs me to do as well. But then when i ask for a REAL marariage.... he says... we will see.. maybe next year. "waht's the point...everyone thinks we are married..."
You're not in a common law marriage if you're wearing an engagement ring and wondering about a "real" marriage. If you are in a common law marriage ... guess what? You have to get divorced, and with that comes a property settlement. He knows what he's doing. Seriously - he's staying with you because you're a safe bet. Your self-respect is low enough for his arseholedness (if that's not a real word, it should be) to slide by before someone else points out his faults ... and that seems to be happening right here tonight.

I get the feeling though, that this whole thread isn't really about your legal situation.

heispushingme

He wears a ring and tells the world that we are married. and he's pissed i won't put MARRIED to him on Facebook. He says the fact that I won't go "public" shows that I am no proud of him. HE has that he is married to ne everywhere.

Here's my question though. My divorce from my ex became final about 1 month ago. I have been living with my fiance for 2 years. My divorce was filed 3.5 years ago. It took forever because my fiance was holding my money and said that my lawyer sucked and he wouldn't pay to finish it.

Well, it's final now. My question is -- am I legally (common law) married or does it take another 6 months after my divorce to be final?

You're not in a common law marriage if you're wearing an engagement ring and wondering about a "real" marriage. If you are in a common law marriage ... guess what? You have to get divorced, and with that comes a property settlement. He knows what he's doing. Seriously - he's staying with you because you're a safe bet. Your self-respect is low enough for his arseholedness (if that's not a real word, it should be) to slide by before someone else points out his faults ... and that seems to be happening right here tonight.

I get the feeling though, that this whole thread isn't really about your legal situation.

eerelations

Like button. I got that feeling awhile back. I think this is about venting, and maybe looking for someone to say something like "Here's how you stop him from controlling your business, yet continue to be with him so you can keep that $30K ring and still feel married."

OP, no one here is going to say that. Nuh-uh, no, not ever. You need to leave him...and if that means giving him back that $30K ring? Do it.

(And really, he gave you a ring THAT HE SAYS is worth $30K? Better get it appraised.)

heispushingme

Why do you care? Why don't you just leave? (Oh wait, it's that ring thing again, isn't it?)
No it's not about the ring. Not all. I'm just asking --

Tonight he told me that he is desperate for my love and that I just need to hand over my money and be okay.... and TRUST him...

heispushingme

No legal questions? Okay, then.
It was legal -- can he legally try to amend our tax returns to get money back from the IRS because I don't hand over my refund check?

That's what my question was...

And if that's something that a couple should allow within a realtionship... (that's not legal question)

Silverplum

It was legal -- can he legally try to amend our tax returns to get money back from the IRS because I don't hand over my refund check?

That's what my question was...

And if that's something that a couple should allow within a realtionship... (that's not legal question)
I wonder why and how you are filing taxes together.

heispushingme

i wish i had a better explanation but he said since I filed bankruptcy 10 yaers ago -- (control weapon) that he needed to handle everything w our personal and prfoessional finances. He controlled everything. He's 49 and said he has does this for years and his accountant was great etc. Turns out he hadnt talked to his ac****ant in years and he had been filing his own taxes for year. But he took over...

yes we filed single but he did them for me...my business and for him..

LdiJ

i wish i had a better explanation but he said since I filed bankruptcy 10 yaers ago -- (control weapon) that he needed to handle everything w our personal and prfoessional finances. He controlled everything. He's 49 and said he has does this for years and his accountant was great etc. Turns out he hadnt talked to his ac****ant in years and he had been filing his own taxes for year. But he took over...

yes we filed single but he did them for me...my business and for him..
Letting him handle your taxes like that was sheer idiocy. Letting him control your finances like that is sheer idiocy as well. You need to leave this jerk and you need to do it now.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He wears a ring and tells the world that we are married. and he's pissed i won't put MARRIED to him on Facebook. He says the fact that I won't go "public" shows that I am no proud of him. HE has that he is married to ne everywhere.

Here's my question though. My divorce from my ex became final about 1 month ago. I have been living with my fiance for 2 years. My divorce was filed 3.5 years ago. It took forever because my fiance was holding my money and said that my lawyer sucked and he wouldn't pay to finish it.

Well, it's final now. My question is -- am I legally (common law) married or does it take another 6 months after my divorce to be final?
If you've only been divorced for one month, you're likely not common-law married, unless only for a month. Even if you've been shacking up for two years (also known as adultery, dear).

Frankly, you should not even be DATING at this point, let alone "engaged". I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that a woman your age is this immature - more worried about her hair and nails and expensive "engagement" ring than growing into an actual mature woman. Of course, the latter requires hard work. You need to open your own bank account, where you can direct deposit your paychecks. Find an apartment to rent and move out. Consider whatever happens with your tax refund a lesson learned. Start standing on your own two feet. Hopefully your therapist can help you figure out why you're afraid to do so.

STEPHAN

You are not in a partnership.

Decide if this is how you want to spent the rest of you life.

If yes, accept it.

If not, move out now. No matter how convenient it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">