• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advise please, my attorney died.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pope414

I live in New Jersey , I just found out my attorney died suddenly. He was a real nice man and I know he will be missed. Here is my question I don't know what to do my Workmen's Comp. case is far along . I am waiting to be scheduled for my two independent evaulation appointments before my final settlement court date and he passed away suddenly. What do I do ? He didn't have a partner and he was a solo practitioner what do I do now?

quincy

I live in New Jersey , I just found out my attorney died suddenly. He was a real nice man and I know he will be missed. Here is my question I don't know what to do my Workmen's Comp. case is far along . I am waiting to be scheduled for my two independent evaulation appointments before my final settlement court date and he passed away suddenly. What do I do ? He didn't have a partner and he was a solo practitioner what do I do now?
If there is no one in your former attorney's office to take calls, you can contact the state Bar Association or your local Bar Association and they can tell you who has been appointed to take over your attorney's cases.

Pope414

If there is no one in your former attorney's office to take calls, you can contact the state Bar Association or your local Bar Association and they can tell you who has been appointed to take over your attorney's cases.
Thank you I will try this first thing Monday

quincy

If you are not satisfied with the appointed attorney to take over your case. I would suggest to consult some other attorney and discuss about your case. You can also choose from lawyers which provides free consultation.
That is probably not an expense that should be necessary, carterjo, especially if the attorney who died appointed a replacement to take over his case load in the event of his death (and this is likely). Another attorney would probably be reluctant to jump into a case at this late date anyway, when a final settlement is in the near future.

Here is part of an older article written in 1998 by Stephen N. Maskaleris and Vivienne K. Cooperman for the American Bar Association on "What Happens When a Lawyer Dies?" (the full article can be accessed through the information provided in this link): http://www.americanbar.org/content/newsletter/publications/gp_solo__magazine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/masaleris.html

Most if not all local (and state) Bar Associations require their attorneys to have someone named to take over their cases in the event of illness or death (which can be especially important with solo practitioners).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">