• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some help for assumptions...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saint1415

What is the name of your state? Florida

I work in a call center and through the entire application process never spoke a lick of Spanish and also ensured on my application I didn't mark that I speak Spanish since I don't. Today, I received an email, from a different department that assigns accounts to each employee, that has as the original message to my department manager that the person who the account was originally assigned wanted it re-assigned to a Spanish speaker. There was no hesitation in the emails as to whom to assign it to. And low and behold it's now in my listing. Is there any recourse that can be taken regarding their assumption?

(I know it seems petty but it's for an associate who is afraid to post from work so I posted for them.)

Thanks

Beth3

There was no hesitation in the emails as to whom to assign it to. And low and behold it's now in my listing. Is there any recourse that can be taken regarding their assumption? And why did they assume your co-worker could speak Spanish? Because he or she has an Hispanic name?

saint1415

Yes they felt that since he has a hispanic last name that he knows spanish. Mind you he had been asked in his hiring interviews whether he was bi/multilingual and he did advise them he only knew English.

saint1415

Can't he just ask for the case to be reassigned?
Yes he can and I advised him that he needs to ensure that the next step up the ladder knows of the rush decision made so as to make them aware that she truly doesn't know her whole department.

mitousmom

I assume that your co-worker's goal is to ensure that management not assume he can speak Spanish because of his surname and not assign him accounts in which fluency in that language is essential. Therefore,I suggest that your co-worker simply advise management that he doesn't speak Spanish and let it go at that. Let management draw its own conclusions about the appropriateness of his manager's behavior.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">