• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I sued my ex-roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bnd1595

I had filed a suit against my old roommate about 2-3 weeks ago. She did not pay for about 3 months of rent, and she caused over $1000 worth of damages to the apartment.
1) I know I can sue her for the rent she didn't pay (which is what I did), but I'm assuming there is no way of me suing her for the full amount of damages? Am I correct to think that I am stuck paying for half of it? I don't know how to prove I didn't do them, besides having a witness with me (and I could bring one if it would make a difference).
2) I don't believe that she'll actually pay me, even if the court tells her to. I was recently told that all they can do is tell her to pay me, but they don't follow up and make sure she did. Is there a way I could request they garnish her wages, instead of getting the full amount at once? I feel that is the only way that my money is guaranteed.
3) She even said she didn't have any intention of giving me my money back (via text message). Should I print out the text and bring it, or will that even make a difference?
4) I know I should bring a copy of the lease, a copy of the payment history, and the receipt for the damages I paid for. Should I highlight the times I paid for her? There is some math involved (adding and subtracting) to try to figure out the final balance due. How should I go about showing that?
5) Is there anything else I should bring?
6) Is there anything else I should know?
7) Can/should I bring somebody with me?
8) How should I present my case to the judge?

Thank you so much in advance for taking your time and effort to read and answer this. I will appreciate any information you give me.

quincy

I had filed a suit against my old roommate about 2-3 weeks ago. She did not pay for about 3 months of rent, and she caused over $1000 worth of damages to the apartment.
1) I know I can sue her for the rent she didn't pay (which is what I did), but I'm assuming there is no way of me suing her for the full amount of damages? Am I correct to think that I am stuck paying for half of it? I don't know how to prove I didn't do them, besides having a witness with me (and I could bring one if it would make a difference).
2) I don't believe that she'll actually pay me, even if the court tells her to. I was recently told that all they can do is tell her to pay me, but they don't follow up and make sure she did. Is there a way I could request they garnish her wages, instead of getting the full amount at once? I feel that is the only way that my money is guaranteed.
3) She even said she didn't have any intention of giving me my money back (via text message). Should I print out the text and bring it, or will that even make a difference?
4) I know I should bring a copy of the lease, a copy of the payment history, and the receipt for the damages I paid for. Should I highlight the times I paid for her? There is some math involved (adding and subtracting) to try to figure out the final balance due. How should I go about showing that?
5) Is there anything else I should bring?
6) Is there anything else I should know?
7) Can/should I bring somebody with me?
8) How should I present my case to the judge?

Thank you so much in advance for taking your time and effort to read and answer this. I will appreciate any information you give me.
What is the name of your state? Is this the same state where the rental is located?

For what amount did you sue your ex-roommate?

The court is correct that, even if you win your suit and are awarded damages, it will be up to you to collect on the judgment.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">