• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to emancipate my 17 yr old. NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faith196237

That's what I was told about emancipation too. But I was also told I was responsible until she was 21 in school or not. After she left home I would not give her the medical card for her prescription and she had a sheriff call, to bully me, and said that it was 21. Everything I've read says the same, but you're right, the courts will do as they want. She is still in school and is back home when she wants to be, again I can't stop her. She's 18 in Nov!!

I don't know if this is anything you want to do, but I've written letters to gov officials, Clinton, Spitzer, Kolb and Nozzolio. I know it won't change anything but I sure felt better letting them know what we parents can be put through.

Good luck to you too, maybe at the end we can compare gray hairs.

InnaPickle

faith196237 said:
Good luck to you too, maybe at the end we can compare gray hairs.
Grey hairs would be a godsend at this point....I'm sure my ordeal has shaved years of life from me due to stress. Look into that whole 21 or 18 thing and let me know what you find out, as now I am curious to know...exactly (even though I have since moved out of NY...thank God!). There are alot of lawyers out there who will do a free initial consultation....Best of luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">