• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I wanted to ask if I block someone on Instagram, and they make fake accounts to watch my profile (it is public profile because I am trying to build a

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ros

I wanted to ask if I block someone on Instagram, and they make fake accounts to watch my profile (it is public profile because I am trying to build a career), but they also use anonymous viewing to view my stories and posted content (but no threatening or anything), is it cyberstalking? Could I take any legal action yet?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If all they are doing is looking at posts that you put up knowing that anyone on the internet can read them then they are not violating the law and there is no action for you to take. Take private anything you don't want this other person to see. Leave your personal life offline and just use the platform to build your business. This person may grow tired of just seeing business posts and not getting a look into your personal life.

Ros

Oh okay, even if I blocked all their accounts and they use third party anonymous viewing apps? Then also no cyberstalking laws involved? Oh and this is an ex-partner and they just send hi, how are you messages after 3 months (happening for 6 months), and I don't reply

Just Blue

Oh okay, even if I blocked all their accounts and they use third party anonymous viewing apps? Then also no cyberstalking laws involved? Oh and this is an ex-partner and they just send hi, how are you messages after 3 months (happening for 6 months), and I don't reply
They are not doing anything illegal.

Reactions: Ros

quincy

There is not a law that prevents people from viewing public postings or, when the site allows, responding to the public postings.

If you have a restraining order against the person, on the other hand, then the postings could be a reportable offense.

Reactions: Ros
It can be a bit unsettling to know that an ex-partner is “following” you.
Ahh.. okay. You are making your life public via your public facing account. Unless your ex-partner is threatening you, just ignore the. The more attention you give to this situation, the more your ex-partner is getting out of following you. The best revenge is living your life well, and in your case, they can see that you don't need them one bit..

quincy

New York State’s stalking in the fourth degree is a misdemeanor charge:

https://casetext.com/statute/consolidated-laws-of-new-york/chapter-penal/part-3-specific-offenses/title-h-offenses-against-the-person-involving-physical-injury-sexual-conduct-restraint-and-intimidation/article-120-assault-and-related-offenses/section-12045-stalking-in-the-fourth-degree

Although it doesn’t sound like the current activity by Ros’s ex-partner crosses the legal line between following and stalking, there might come a time when it does.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">