• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was just "let go" what can I do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dnajarro

hi, I live in brooklyn NY, and until yesterdayI was working in NYC for a national publication. My new supervisor decided to ask me into her office and tell me that she felt that she could not work with me anymore. I been working at this magazine for 3 years, I've never had any problems based on my work, speed, or anything what so ever. when we were speaking she said that we've had this conversation "many" of times before, but to tell the truth we talk about this once before about a months ago. as it stand... her reasons for "letting me go" are that I am a slow worker, and my designs are not what she expect from me. I should ad that I started working there under a different marketing manager and she had no problems with me. this marketing manager has been in this position for about 10 months and before that she was a designer working along with me

I feel this was unjust simply because if this were the case why wasn't I told this sooner, maybe withing my first 3 months at the company. there are many other things happening at the office that I feel are part of the reasons to my sudden termination, but I feel that my work is not it...

The publisher has offered me a full months pay and freelance work, this aside from what HR mentioned that i would get 3 weeks severance, and accrued vacation.

is there anything I can do??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. Accept the offer, file for unemployment, and start looking for a new job.

Nothing in your post suggests that your employer is violating any laws.

dnajarro

just to add

the other things happening in the office are that a young girl was hired a few months ago, and to this day hasn't been paid. they keep telling that the check is in the mail and she's received nothing to this day. I know that she's began demanding her pay, and I feel the reason they have come up with this story of the quality and the performance of my work is to give this girl a full-time position.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if true, that does not make your termination illegal.

The girl who is not getting paid should file a complaint with the state DOL as not paying her IS illegal. But while admittedly unfair, letting you go in order to give her your position is not a violation of the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">