• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was wrong, but I pretty sure this isn't right either

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raiders24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I was arressted and removed from a residence where I was not on the lease. Due to a no-contact I was prohibited from going to this address accept to get my belongings. I was not allowed an opportunity to do this. I did an additional 2wks in jail, and upon release was informed that the other party had moved out, and that all of my belongings had been either given or thrown away. I was never told that the person was leaving or given a time frame to get my stuff.

To me it seems obvious that I have a small claims case. Am I correct? Also, how would I prove what I had, if either the items I had were gifts or any reciepts I had were thrown away as well.

One more thing, I bought a car with a loan that was co-signed by a relative. I put this car in the other persons name w/ a verbal agreement that if the relationship ended the car would be put back in my name. I know I likely have no case, but I was wondering, if I was to get this person to admit that there was a verbal agreement, could I get it back, despite that its in this persons name?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I was arressted and removed from a residence where I was not on the lease. Due to a no-contact I was prohibited from going to this address accept to get my belongings. I was not allowed an opportunity to do this. I did an additional 2wks in jail, and upon release was informed that the other party had moved out, and that all of my belongings had been either given or thrown away. I was never told that the person was leaving or given a time frame to get my stuff.

To me it seems obvious that I have a small claims case. Am I correct? Also, how would I prove what I had, if either the items I had were gifts or any reciepts I had were thrown away as well.

One more thing, I bought a car with a loan that was co-signed by a relative. I put this car in the other persons name w/ a verbal agreement that if the relationship ended the car would be put back in my name. I know I likely have no case, but I was wondering, if I was to get this person to admit that there was a verbal agreement, could I get it back, despite that its in this persons name?
A lawsuite for your personal belongings would be very difficult to prove. Do you have receipts for your items? It would be your word against theirs ~ on both of your predicaments.

raiders24

So, What, Am I s.o.l. !

A lawsuite for your personal belongings would be very difficult to prove. Do you have receipts for your items? It would be your word against theirs ~ on both of your predicaments
All of my files were in the house and these were thrown out as well... I'm assuming. The landlord said he saw them put all my stuff on the side of the road in front of the house, w/ a sign that said free. I know I could get a document from him stating this, but is there no way to prove what I had. I mean everything I had is gone. There must be some type of recourse I can take.

Thanks for replying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">