• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I130 in another country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

voyweiser

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado

My mother in law got her I130 approved, it says on the uscis website

Consular processing is when we work with the U.S. Department of State to issue a visa on an approved Form I-130 petition when a visa is available. In this process the Department of State will issue you a visa. If approved, you may then travel on the visa and will officially become a permanent resident when admitted at a U.S. port of entry.

so does this mean when my mother in law gets a visa and enters a port of entry that she is automatically a permanent resident and she doesnt have to do an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status?

Thank You

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado

My mother in law got her I130 approved, it says on the uscis website

Consular processing is when we work with the U.S. Department of State to issue a visa on an approved Form I-130 petition when a visa is available. In this process the Department of State will issue you a visa. If approved, you may then travel on the visa and will officially become a permanent resident when admitted at a U.S. port of entry.

so does this mean when my mother in law gets a visa and enters a port of entry that she is automatically a permanent resident and she doesnt have to do an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status?

Thank You
That is correct. If your MIL gets an immigrant visa as the result of the I-130 petition, she will be admitted to the US as a Permanent Resident.
Her green card will be mailed to her after production, about one month from entering. Until it comes, the stamped visa in her passport served the same purpose as a green card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">