• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IAAL, Please read, serious question!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JaneyS4

What is the name of your state? GA

I know you often tell people to go buy a book, well, I'm gonna put you on the spot here! Can you give me any recommendations about the names of some books that I might get concerning going pro se in a child custody case? (For a friend)

V

velbing

IAAL

Almost every state has at least one family law library. Check through an internet search engine for such key words as Georgia Divorce information. Amazon.com has a lot of books w/fill in forms for pro se divorces. Check with them for specific states and jurisdictions.

HomeGuru

Also check out Barnes and Nobles, Borders, Nolo Press etc.
Tell your friend that is it not wise to go pro se on something as important as child custody.
Most of the "buy a book" recmmendations by IAAL had to do with simple small claims actions.

JaneyS4

HG, LOL, I love your location, hehehe.

I know its not wise to go for custody pro se, but he's in one of those bad spots. You know, not enough money to pay a lawyer, but too much for legal aide. He doesn't have much choice. And its not a divorce, he's already had one of those, its just a custody thing. Any advice?

W

wmarge

self help

Hey Janey,
Most states have an either 'self help' center/website (unfortunally for me not mental!) where you can get legal docs and information. Here in Nevada its called Clark County self help center 455-1500. They should have them or somthing similar in most states, may be worth checking into. The one out here is a bundle of information!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">