• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Iaal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karma1

What is the name of your state? CA

Ya know we all talk boutcha when you're gone--just kidding my friend~

Im getting conflicting information regarding ssi in CA and how or can this be garnished for child support?

From what I gathered, Soc. Sec has the rule that yes, this can be garished and from CA guidelines, No, it cant?

And Ive been told that CA has it's own rules for social security benifits and federal has its own rules?

ughhhhh-
please share-

or from your experience, how likely is it to get support from someone who is claiming disability and is working too?

3kidsmom

:)

Lovingwife,
SSI is not considered income for Child Support. HOWEVER, SSDI is, and CAN have CS with held from it for the obligation. Also with SSDI, there is a dependent benefit for children, which is 50% of the amount that the parent receives, which is then divided equally amongst the dependent children. CS CAN in some states be offset by this benefit amount.

BL

I don't know about CA.,but Some State's ( I'm not sure if it's Fed. Guidelines),have enacted a Mandatory Minimum Child Support Amount. ( Little or no income ).

SSI SSDI , even if you receive Temporary Public Assistance , one can be ordered to pay the minimum amount.
If you fail to pay, then you fall into arrears , where the State can then impose Penalties ( IE: suspending licenses , ETC.).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">