• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal background check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Az.guy

What is the name of your state? Az

Looked at an apartment for rent, landlord took photocopy of my drivers license, went back to hand in rental ap., and landlord had checked me out (She had a printout of something, I have a misdemenor poss. marijuana pending)...asked me a bunch of personal questions too...I never signed a discloser agreement, was truthful about no prior convictions on app. Can a landlord check out a person's background without a release? If she denies me the apartment can I sue?

FarmerJ

Any so called crimes a person commits are public information, background checks are a normal part of doing business for LLs , especially when LLs learned the hard way. NO your LL did not need your consent , you gave the LL enough info to search with a internet data base when you let your ID be copied. Have you spoken to this LL about what happened? Its hard to say what this LL will do for sure , ill guess you should wait and see.

treese

Farmer is right - it is public information and can be gotten easily from a Judicial website.

In many states, criminal, civil, small claims and housing cases can easily looked up for free by anyone, anytime. The landlord does not need consent to look this info up.

Cvillecpm

KUDOS to the landlord!!!

Why do you think she took your DL? She has to have your written permission to RUN YOUR CREDIT REPORT * not a criminal search which is available online.

Rent from a DUMBER landlord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">