• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegitimate daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandy Don

The correct spelling is WILLIAMSON COUNTY in Williamson, Texas. Look at civil records online at www.wilco.org and you can call the county clerk's office at (512) 943-1140 if you have any questions.

Normally the will (if there is one) is filed within 30-90 days after the death. If there is no will there is a small chance that there will be an intestate estate probated without a will. If there is nothing I'm afraid you are out of luck since all assets may have been put into a trust and if you don't know who the trustee is you have no way of getting in touch with the trustee.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Farfalla

I said:
It does not matter if you are 'illigitimate' you are his child.

You can check the public records in the county where he lived reference a will and probate. Most places have basic court record search engines online. That's where I'd start.

You probably need to get an attorney to sort this out for you. It is very likely that you are entitled to an inheretance.
And I reply:

And of course, NO ONE has enough information to even suggest this is accurate.
We don't even know if there IS any inheritance!

I was the non-estranged, non-illegitimate daughter of my dad, and there was no inheritance. Many long term couples leave everything to each other.
My point, which I did not state clearly enough, is that OP has the same rights to an inheritance as a ‘legitimate’ child of her father’s.

Just wondering--is he named as your father on your birth certificate? Do you have personal letters (handwritten) to you by him?

The good news for you is that Texas Probate Code Chapter II. Descent & Distribution, Section 42, Inheritance Rights for Children, says:

(b) Paternal Inheritance. A person claiming to be a biological child of the decedent. . .may petition the probate court for a determination of right of inheritance. If the court finds by clear and convincing evidence that the purported father was the biological father of the child, the child is treated as any other child of the decedent for the purpose of inheritance and he and his issue may inherit.

…….

anboleyn

I said:
And I reply:

My point, which I did not state clearly enough, is that OP has the same rights to an inheritance as a ‘legitimate’ child of her father’s.
Thank you Farfalla,

Thank you for all replies. I did respond but I think I took too long when I submitted reply after preview. Mike_Lee's reply was either deleted or not posted because I got rather 'heated' in my reply or I took too long to post.

Many thanks Dandy Don. I shall check out that website again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">