• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm 28, my girlfriend is 20. Mother is still girlfriend's legal guardian. (sex law?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I suppose what I'm saying is that I haven't noticed any signs of her being incompetent and I believe that she can make a legitimate case in taking her mother to court. It seems to me as though her mother just wants to keep her around for housework. However after finding out more information on this forum I will tread cautiously in this situation since it would be illegal for me to fornicate with her. My apologies if I upset anyone or came across as a bad person. I'm just a guy in search for the facts and I have found them. Thanks again.
The bolded is seriously doubtful. It just doesn't work that way.

Please... move on.

Silverplum

I suppose what I'm saying is that I haven't noticed any signs of her being incompetent and I believe that she can make a legitimate case in taking her mother to court. It seems to me as though her mother just wants to keep her around for housework. However after finding out more information on this forum I will tread cautiously in this situation since it would be illegal for me to fornicate with her. My apologies if I upset anyone or came across as a bad person. I'm just a guy in search for the facts and I have found them. Thanks again.
It's not just that it may be illegal to fornicate with her.

It's that if you did, you risk impregnating her.

Do you want HER for the mother of your child? Think it over.

There are eight bazillion other girls out there... ;)

mistoffolees

I suppose what I'm saying is that I haven't noticed any signs of her being incompetent and I believe that she can make a legitimate case in taking her mother to court.
And she can do that. I would strongly suggest that you stay out of the matter until/unless the girl is emancipated.

CJane

Dude. This isn't a Cinderella story.

incompetent adj. 1) referring to a person who is not able to manage his/her affairs due to mental deficiency (lack of I.Q., deterioration, illness or psychosis) or sometimes physical disability. Being incompetent can be the basis for appointment of a guardian or conservator (after a hearing in which the party who may be found to be incompetent has been interviewed by a court investigator and is present and/or represented by an attorney) to handle his/her person and/or affairs (often called "estate").
She wasn't declared incompetent because she was really good at housework and babysitting.

Most likely? She was institutionalized due to her 'mood swings' and 'anger problem' and declared incompetent/appointed a guardian upon her release. And that she seems 'ok' as long as she's medicated, and she's medicated BECAUSE she has a guardian.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">