• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm having a baby, Can my husband's child support be reduced once our baby is born??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MindyT

I understand

If that's the case, then it's because the other parent is a woman. No one can tell me that has nothing to do with it because that is bull. If it's the father that is the NCP, it almost always comes down harder on them than it does when the mother is the NCP. I've seen too many personal accounts of this and I know. I have known men that tried to get support from their ex-wives and women that tried to get it from the ex-husband. In each case the mother got off basically scot-free and the father was done like dirt. So, you have a long road ahead of you as you may have already learned now. I am very sorry that it's that way; it's extremely unfair. Good luck.

M

Mie mie

I live in Maryland

I just want to say Im going through this with my brother he's in the same situation has a past with a child and now hes expecting a new baby dont make good money and still has to pay whatever the mother wants, When he went to court the judge said told him he didnt want to hear his problems that he has the judge said it didnt concern the case and thats his own responsibilty so you go figure they really dont give fathers a break I feel so bad for anyone thats going through what my brother is Im sorry

R

Reser

So basically your saying because your having another child the other child should have to suffer?

This is one of the most selfish things I have ever heard, I am a child of divorce so I have experinced it, and my father was the worst, he was extremeley good at avoiding paying.

He also remarried and had another child, and then he quit his job and stopped his payments and forgot all about us, leaving us without......struggling

And this 'pay whatever the mother wants' you actually are acting as if the mother just wants food for her children, educations/clothes/medical care for their children, as if they dont really need money for this they can go without, because of course its their fault their where they are and the father should be able to just abandon his children and leave the mother struggling just because he has another child... that is redicoulous.

Last edited:
C

cananyonehelp

It's funny I have been deal with the AG about my X-wife not paying and I got nowhere. I gave them every thing they needed to know and when I called beak they said they didn’t have the info. so I gave it to them again. I called back, again same response so I gave it to them again. The third time they told me they where waiting for the post office to verify an address. I ask them... why don’t you call her on the cell number I gave you? They told me they could not. So finally I asked if I could fax them a copy of the court order the proved my X-wife had to be at her supervised visitation location for the month of July. What did I get nothing!! What he needs to do is get his lawyer to file contempt of court on the delinquent mother. They may let her slide the first time but the next time around they won’t be so easy on her. As for lowering his support, correct me if I’m wrong. He has one he pays child support on, one who he is suppose to be pay child support for, and one on the way!!!

If you can’t afford them DON’T HAVE MORE!!!

I don’t understand why people in here cant take these guys being blunt!! These guys are good attorneys

1. They give you free advice
2. They are to the point (the truth is not pretty.... it's true)
3. They have a back bone (get a pansy lawyer lost ur case and wallet!!!)
4. YOU COULD PAY 250-500 an hour
for the same DAMN thing!!!

I would rather someone be rude and give me GOOD advice, then tickle my ears to get in my wallet

I say we get a cheese icon to go with all this whining

Last edited:

nextwife

Although, for the sake of arguement, in other areas of the law, all children of a person are treated equally and birth order is irrelevant in regards to the CHILDREN'S rights. For example, in estate law, each subsequent child DOES, by law, reduce the size of the "pie" that they all are entitled to split if a parent dies intestate. They are required to be treated equally financially. Not, say, 30% to the first child, and progressively smaller percentages to a child based on their birth order. The problem with the "you shouldn't have more" argument is that it is the child who is considered entitled to support by their parent. And the child has no say in being born first, or last.

All children of a father should be entitled to somewhat equivilant support by that father. In intact families, the amount of money spent on a firstborn often IS indeed reduced as other children join the family and more evenly spread amoung later born siblings. I was a firstborn, I remember there being less discretionary spending on myself when younger sibs came along.

Last edited:

haiku

also when people get so up in arms about a reduction for subsequent children, either 'for" or 'against' they don't realize, a subsequent child, either of the support order or of a new relationship counts for a WHOPPING 2% of the order(in most states). The "first" child will always count for the largest percentage. (and as each kid comes to majority the NEXT kid takes over the 'oldest" spot)

whatever reduction you think your gonna get, based on that alone,-and the court will not alow that to be the only reason for a reduction, likely is not gonna be exciting enough to rip food from a kids mouth.

C

ca5701

steviensuzy said:
What is the name of your state? California

My husband has three kids from a previous marriage. He pays child support monthly and doen not make good money. I on the other hand make a great salary. Can he get his child support reduced since he will have another obligation? just curious in cali.
I am the custodial parent receiving child support and pretty much feel the same as other posters: if you can't afford the ones you have, why have more. However, I am in CA and the judge asked my ex if he has more children. He said he has one (born 2 years after my youngest) so the judge deducted $200 from his net income when determining my child support for our three children together for his child with wife #2.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">