• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Immigration, deportation, US re-entry.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MAZTECINC

What is the name of your state? CA

Okay, I am not even sure where to start. :confused:

My father, well, not really, but he is the man who raised me along with my cousin. So, when I say dad, know there is no legal relation.

My father immigrated to the US at an early age, he was granted legal citizenship 7 years before the following began:

In 1994, he was charged with felony drug possession. It was not originally a felony charge but his court appointed attorney said that taking it as a felony would lesson his jail time as part of a deal, TAKE THE FELONY AND GET NO TIME IN JAIL (only community service and probation) OR TAKE THE MISDEAMENER and have to do jail time for it. He took it as a felony not quite understanding but trusting his public defender would not steer him incorrectly. So he did community service, paid all of the fines and stayed clean through his probation. During this time we moved and 2 days before his probation was complete an officer arrived at our door, claiming he neglected to file with the courts he had moved and since he was a drug offender he violated probation, etc. They took him into custody, he went to court, they put him in jail, sent him to a texas federal prison where he was for 6 months and then released into Mexico. The original court documents say that he is banned from returning for atleast 7 years.

While in Mexico he really matured and cleaned up his act. He became an adult school teacher, teaching english as a second language to soldiers in the military and finishing his own secondary education. It has been 11 years now and he has been clean from drugs or alcohal, even cigarrettes for as long.

My cousin (who I call mother) has been with him this whole time, she is a citizen and moved to Mexico to be with him through all of this. They were never married. They recently had a baby girl, she just turned one yr old, she was born in the US and has dual citizenship. She is now pregnant again.

My question is where do we even begin?? They do not want to raise the children in Mexico and my cousin is ready to come home, she was born and raised here, but my dad needs to come home with her. He has most of his brothers and sisters here, and his mother, they all have visa's and a few even made legal citizenship. He has a sister who is a foreman willing to sponsor him for work and a job and home waiting for him when he gets here.

Where do we start? What are the chances of them lettting him cross back over? Does the fact that he has children that are legal citizens count for anything or that he has cleaned up his act? Does the 11 year mark help us at all. We are trying to develope a 2 year plan that will result in getting him home with us again. My cousin works in San Diego and uses a US address. But we need to develope a game plan. Is an atorney neccessary?

Any inforamtion anyone can provide will be greatly apprecaited!! Thanks so much

Angel

edited to add:

i must be very honest his rap sheet was not pretty before the conviction, domestic violence, multiple drug charges, alcohal related charges....etc

but he is not that person anymore (12 YEARS HAVE PAST), what are the chances, even of getting a work visa or something?

thanks...

Last edited:

MAZTECINC

2nd ?

Would It Be Easier If They Applied Or A Fiancee Visa, Or Got Marrried In Mexico? Would That Help The Situation?

They Have Been Together For 15 Y Rs.. And Are Going On Their Second Child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">