• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Immigration, ex husband not paying bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prrsilly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

Hello, I was advised to post my question in the immigration forum from someone in the divorce forum.

My situation is this: I am divorced, everything is finalized, and now my ex husband is threatening to move back to Nigeria (his home country) and not pay the bills that he is ordered to pay in our property settlement agreement. All the bills---the $10,000 in credit cards and $30,000 in a bank loan (which is in my name and my mother cosigned on it) are in my name (or my and my mom's name). According to our finalized Property Settlement Agreement, my ex husband takes full responsibility for all of these bills, yet he isn't paying on them. He pays them late and recently emailed me to say that he isn't working, sorry, that he can't pay the bills anymore and he is threatening to run back to Nigeria to avoid paying the bills. I understand that I am responsible to the credit card companies and bank since it is my name on the cards and loan. I didn't take him for child support. If I do and he doesn't pay, will they arrest him and make him pay for both the child support AND the money he owes from the property settlement agreement?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
~Priscilla~

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

Hello, I was advised to post my question in the immigration forum from someone in the divorce forum.

My situation is this: I am divorced, everything is finalized, and now my ex husband is threatening to move back to Nigeria (his home country) and not pay the bills that he is ordered to pay in our property settlement agreement. All the bills---the $10,000 in credit cards and $30,000 in a bank loan (which is in my name and my mother cosigned on it) are in my name (or my and my mom's name). According to our finalized Property Settlement Agreement, my ex husband takes full responsibility for all of these bills, yet he isn't paying on them. He pays them late and recently emailed me to say that he isn't working, sorry, that he can't pay the bills anymore and he is threatening to run back to Nigeria to avoid paying the bills. I understand that I am responsible to the credit card companies and bank since it is my name on the cards and loan. I didn't take him for child support. If I do and he doesn't pay, will they arrest him and make him pay for both the child support AND the money he owes from the property settlement agreement?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
~Priscilla~
I'm sorry to tell you that you got good advice in your other thread.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/divorce-separation-annulment-36/ex-husband-not-paying-bills-461868.html

It's good that you posted it here; maybe it will benefit other USCs who do not understand the commitment they're making when they bring an immigrant to the US (and hey, I'm one of you).

It's your name on the bills. The court can't stop him leaving the country. You and your other sponsor (who was that, mom?) are still on the hook for supporting him at 125% of PG or potentially repaying benefits he collects--divorce does not cancel the I-864.

You might want your divorce lawyer to consult with an immigration attorney, but I'm afraid you're on your own with this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">