• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impassible Roads

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dale Sr

What is the name of your state? PA

I'm not sure which is the appropriate forum for this question. I trust that the mods will move my post if appropriate.

Who is legally authorized to declare a road impassable to traffic?

In this case, the road is "owned" (or at least maintained by the county). Due to insufficient funds, they are unable to provide the needed maintenance to the road to keep it safely passable. There have been accidents (over 25 in the last 3 months) due to the lack of maintenance resulting in cars being totaled and people being hospitalized with injuries. Many are calling for the road to be closed until repairs are completed, but this would result in some people not being able to drive to their homes.

It is unclear to residents who even has the authority to close a road in a situation like this? The State? County? Township? Local police? State police? A judge? All of these? None of these? Other? This question was posed as a local township meeting. Neither the supervisors, nor the solicitor, knew the answer.

On one hand, denying people access to their homes seems like it would be illegal (intuitively). But then again, it also seems like asking for trouble to keep a road open that is putting lives at risk.

State reps claim the cannot help bc it is not a state road. Township say the same. County says they would love to help but have no money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
25 accidents with hospitalizations and total-loss to vehicles in a 3-month period and nobody's gone to the news?

Dale Sr

25 accidents with hospitalizations and total-loss to vehicles in a 3-month period and nobody's gone to the news?
The situation is all over the local news, but the issue is much larger than just this road. Many other roads were closed for being impassible, but in those cases there were alterative (albeit inconvenient) routes to people's homes. That is the rub in this siutation.

Not all ~25 accidents required hospitalizations. Personally, I know of 2.

Again, in this situation, who is legally authorized to declare the road impassible to traffic?

Zigner

The situation is all over the local news, but the issue is much larger than just this road. Many other roads were closed for being impassible, but in those cases there were alterative (albeit inconvenient) routes to people's homes. That is the rub in this siutation.

Again, in this situation, who is legally authorized to declare the road impassible to traffic?
Sounds to me like the county would have that authority.

Zigner

I have to wonder how bad the road has to be to cause accidents that total out cars and put people in the hospital. I've been down some incredibly bad roads in my car and never ran across a situation where I couldn't slow down if the road was in bad shape.

Edit: Heck, there used to be a place on the freeway near the East LA Interchange that you could get airborne if you drove over it too fast.

Last edited:

quincy

How long is the impassable portion of the road?

How many residents have homes and/or businesses that front the road?

Have these residents compiled a list of accidents along this stretch of road?

Have these residents and others who use the road on a regular basis signed a petition to have the road repaired?

Have the residents discussed with the county block grants for community improvements?

FarmerJ

you didnt say if it was a un improved township road ( gravel ) or it was a improved (paved ) township or county road? ( if its a township road then if you get no where then your county would be the next step up the ladder. if its a county road improved or not then the state should be the next place to complain ( besides going to the media again and again and again .

bcr229

you didnt say if it was a un improved township road ( gravel ) or it was a improved (paved ) township or county road? ( if its a township road then if you get no where then your county would be the next step up the ladder. if its a county road improved or not then the state should be the next place to complain ( besides going to the media again and again and again .
I think the OP made it pretty clear that it's a county road and the county has admitted that but there's no money available to fix it. Until the county can afford to fix it perhaps some warning signage and reducing the speed limit is in order.

Also is the road almost impassable now due to long-term neglect and it's been deteriorating over time, or did the damage occur suddenly from something like flooding?

quincy

The PennDOT County Maintenance Office in whatever District Dale Sr is in should be the proper agency to contact.

Dale Sr

Also is the road almost impassable now due to long-term neglect and it's been deteriorating over time, or did the damage occur suddenly from something like flooding?
Been getting worse every year.

An update......"They" (not sure which entity) has temporarily converted the road to be 1-way. This is a huge inconvenience for locals, but all can still get to their homes. This does not improve the road condition, but removes the risk of head-on collisions. It also gives drivers the entirety of 2 lanes (instead of one) to navigate around the subsidences.

To the Farmer's question, the road is paved (and I use that term loosely...very loosely). Danger signs and cones are in place. Not sure who put up the signs, but the township put the cones in place after one of the accidents.

quincy

Been getting worse every year.

An update......"They" (not sure which entity) has temporarily converted the road to be 1-way. This is a huge inconvenience for locals, but all can still get to their homes. This does not improve the road condition, but removes the risk of head-on collisions. It also gives drivers the entirety of 2 lanes (instead of one) to navigate around the subsidences.

To the Farmer's question, the road is paved (and I use that term loosely...very loosely). Danger signs and cones are in place. Not sure who put up the signs, but the township put the cones in place after one of the accidents.
At least “they” acknowledge problems with the road. Perhaps another long-term solution is being worked out.

Dale Sr

How long is the impassable portion of the road?

How many residents have homes and/or businesses that front the road?

Have these residents compiled a list of accidents along this stretch of road?

Have these residents and others who use the road on a regular basis signed a petition to have the road repaired?

Have the residents discussed with the county block grants for community improvements?
About 1/2 mile.

No businesses. There about a half dozen developments that are only accessible from that portion of the bad road. I estimate 300-400 homes combined in all these developments.

Township police/supervisors have provided the accident list to the county, not the residents.

There is a group that organized (few hundred county residents) to try to get county owned roads addressed (not just this 1 road).That group has brought up grants and many other ideas, but so far still no money to fix the roads.

Yes on the petitions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">