• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Parking - Stalls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

What is the name of your state? FL

Please help me understand. My wife has a very wide car. We got a few tickets for "Improper Parking - Stalls" when she parked and was not 100% within the lines.

This is a very wide street, no traffic at all. She was a little over the line (to the side, to the street, not to the other two parking spots behind her).

The ordinance says:

Any motor vehicle parked in any parking space in any publicly owned or operated parking lot or publicly owned parking garage shall be parked within the lines marked on the pavement, curb or ground for such parking space so as not to occupy more than a single parking space. Each space shall be limited to no more than one motor vehicle per parking space.

I feel she was not occupying more than a single parking space.

(This happened every Sunday morning in front of a church.)

quincy

What is the name of your state? FL

Please help me understand. My wife has a very wide car. We got a few tickets for "Improper Parking - Stalls" when she parked and was not 100% within the lines.

This is a very wide street, no traffic at all. She was a little over the line (to the side, to the street, not to the other two parking spots behind her).

The ordinance says:

Any motor vehicle parked in any parking space in any publicly owned or operated parking lot or publicly owned parking garage shall be parked within the lines marked on the pavement, curb or ground for such parking space so as not to occupy more than a single parking space. Each space shall be limited to no more than one motor vehicle per parking space.

I feel she was not occupying more than a single parking space.

(This happened every Sunday morning in front of a church.)
From what you described and from the wording of the ordinance, it sounds to me as if the tickets were deserved. Your wife parked her very wide car over the line, encroaching on the parking space next to her.

LdiJ

From what you described and from the wording of the ordinance, it sounds to me as if the tickets were deserved. Your wife parked her very wide car over the line, encroaching on the parking space next to her.
I have to agree. If she has a problem with parking her wide car, then perhaps it should be traded in for something that she could park more easily.

STEPHAN

Yes, only that there is no parking space next to her.

quincy

Yes, only that there is no parking space next to her.
Her parking might not affect another driver but the ordinance seems pretty clear to me. If her car is parked over the parking lines, she is in violation.

Of course your wife is free to argue the tickets but I am not seeing on what grounds she would be successful. Perhaps if all of the parking spaces are unreasonably narrow and cannot accommodate any large vehicle, there could be a good argument. If, however, there is space left over on one side of her vehicle and an overlap of the parking space line on the other side of the vehicle, it could/would be seen as a poor parking job rather than a poor parking space.

If your wife has been issued several tickets, she might want to find a different place to park or get a smaller car.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She either needs more practice at parallel parking or a narrower car.
I'm obviously obtuse. But I don't understand how the width of a car affects parallel parking - wouldn't the *length* of the car be the problem? Unless the car encroaches onto the roadway - but that doesn't seem to be the situation described?

LdiJ

I'm obviously obtuse. But I don't understand how the width of a car affects parallel parking - wouldn't the *length* of the car be the problem? Unless the car encroaches onto the roadway - but that doesn't seem to be the situation described?
I think that is what has been described. That the car is encroaching on the roadway.

STEPHAN

Thanks for all your feedback. I did not mean to throw my wife under the bus. She is an excellent driver. She got her license in a country where you need extensive driving lessons and learn how to park properly.

She was about two inches away from the curb. The car is a regular Escalade with no custom changes. We have a court appointment shortly. I will keep you posted. As per your feedback, it looks like we will lose. The $25 for this one will not kill us.

But we will find out who in parking enforcement has nothing better to do at 8 AM on a Sunday morning ;-)

quincy

Thanks for all your feedback. I did not mean to throw my wife under the bus. She is an excellent driver. She got her license in a country where you need extensive driving lessons and learn how to park properly.

She was about two inches away from the curb. The car is a regular Escalade with no custom changes. We have a court appointment shortly. I will keep you posted. As per your feedback, it looks like we will lose. The $25 for this one will not kill us.

But we will find out who in parking enforcement has nothing better to do at 8 AM on a Sunday morning ;-)
Even good drivers get parking tickets - but a first ticket generally will clue a driver in on what they did wrong and they avoid doing the same thing again. ;)

If I were the driver of an Escalade who was ticketed several times for violating that particular ordinance, I probably would have found a different place to park.

Good luck to your wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">