• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improvement distrct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kenham

What is the name of your state?Arizona
A neighbor initiated the process (3 yrs ago?) of bringing water and sewer into our area that consists of 2 acre parcels on wells and septics. The original estimate by the city was 21K per parcel. When the city felt an approving sense from the residents they proceeded with planning. At the next meeting the new estimate (1 yr ago) was 40K. Most property owners were no longer in favor. The city said they would work on the cost and at the next meeting (6 mos ago)the new estimate was 31K. The survey was done and the result was 24 in favor and 15 against. Ten parcels (vacant land) are owned by speculators and they got ten votes in the survey, all in favor. On Christmas Eve we got our notice in the mail that the resolution was being presented to the City Council on Jan 3rd and the assessment for each parcel is $66,600. We get to express our views to the Council at the meeting. I have a lawyer who the city does their best to ignore and insult. Any input or opinions would be appreciated. thanks, Ken

seniorjudge

kenham said:
What is the name of your state?Arizona
A neighbor initiated the process (3 yrs ago?) of bringing water and sewer into our area that consists of 2 acre parcels on wells and septics. The original estimate by the city was 21K per parcel. When the city felt an approving sense from the residents they proceeded with planning. At the next meeting the new estimate (1 yr ago) was 40K. Most property owners were no longer in favor. The city said they would work on the cost and at the next meeting (6 mos ago)the new estimate was 31K. The survey was done and the result was 24 in favor and 15 against. Ten parcels (vacant land) are owned by speculators and they got ten votes in the survey, all in favor. On Christmas Eve we got our notice in the mail that the resolution was being presented to the City Council on Jan 3rd and the assessment for each parcel is $66,600. We get to express our views to the Council at the meeting. I have a lawyer who the city does their best to ignore and insult. Any input or opinions would be appreciated. thanks, Ken
...When the city felt an approving sense from the residents they proceeded with planning...Any input or opinions would be appreciated....

How did the city feel an approving sense?

Find out and then have the city feel a disapproving sense?

Also, have your own study showing a different amount.

$66K sounds reasonable to me; it will dramatically increase the value of your land.

kenham

Thanks Judge, I was one of the people giving the approving nod at $21,000 and the disapproval now at $66K. Most of the folks in this area are retired and although you are probably right about the increase in home value most here have not considered selling until this week. The original engineer who gave the 21K estimate (now in another state) looked at the city plan and pointed out some infrastructure (12" pipe instead of 8") that probably is one of the reasons the city changed the cost 6 months ago. I will pitch my bitch and live with the results no doubt although I consider it a bait and switch by the city. ken

seniorjudge

kenham said:
Thanks Judge, I was one of the people giving the approving nod at $21,000 and the disapproval now at $66K. Most of the folks in this area are retired and although you are probably right about the increase in home value most here have not considered selling until this week. The original engineer who gave the 21K estimate (now in another state) looked at the city plan and pointed out some infrastructure (12" pipe instead of 8") that probably is one of the reasons the city changed the cost 6 months ago. I will pitch my bitch and live with the results no doubt although I consider it a bait and switch by the city. ken
What you are describing is pretty much standard behavior for any city I have ever been involved with anywhere in the country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">