• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

imputed income vs actual income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rppearso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AK

What happens if the court imputed income is much higher than actual income, do arrears develope and if this results in the loss of professional licences and drivers licences will the imputed income go down.

If one is fired due to a loss of a professoinal licence and/or drivers licence and is no longer able to get to work and does not look for or is not able to find another job do arrears develope and can this result in a loss of a professional licence and thus a reduction in imputed income? Also if you are fired and can not find new work can you still be held in contempt, what documents have to be shown to the court that you are looking for work, would a stack of denial letters from employers be adaquate to keep from being in contempt of court, can you actually go to jail for being in arrears due to unemployment?

What nations do not have child support reciprocity with the USA? Can you apply for a passport under another nation if your passport has been revoked so you can go somewhere where you can make ends meet?

Last edited:

nextwife

How is it you came to be imputed an income? If you were unable to earvn the imputed amount, did you file for a modification.

Last edited:

rppearso

I am acutally posting this on behalf of a friend and for my own education, I have heard some real horror stories of lagitimate paying NCP who have been fired/layed off and the court was ruthless with them when there unemployment ran out and they were still unable to find work. I believe they are going to court this week for modification and if they dont get it they will be destitute hense why I asked about other nations that do not have reciprocity in these matters, but this would have to be done before your passport was revoked.

Proserpina

I am acutally posting this on behalf of a friend and for my own education, I have heard some real horror stories of lagitimate paying NCP who have been fired/layed off and the court was ruthless with them when there unemployment ran out and they were still unable to find work. I believe they are going to court this week for modification and if they dont get it they will be destitute hense why I asked about other nations that do not have reciprocity in these matters, but this would have to be done before your passport was revoked.
US child support orders can be enforced in certain countries - but it can depend on the nationality of all three parties (mother, father, child) and which countries we're talking about.

But your friends are not going to be able to simply up and leave the country in the hopes of avoiding child support. There would also be the very valid question of "why aren't you able to find ANY work"?

If you gave a little more detail - like which countries are involved, the actual circumstances etc - it may be easier to answer your questions.

rppearso

US child support orders can be enforced in certain countries - but it can depend on the nationality of all three parties (mother, father, child) and which countries we're talking about.

But your friends are not going to be able to simply up and leave the country in the hopes of avoiding child support. There would also be the very valid question of "why aren't you able to find ANY work"?

If you gave a little more detail - like which countries are involved, the actual circumstances etc - it may be easier to answer your questions.
I have actually found a list of recipicating nations on the state department web site so I guess thoes nations would be off the list, none of them are foriegn nationals or anything like that they are US citizens. I know the husband of my friend has a viscious ex who is putting them through this. Im not sure why they were not able to find work but I would think in this economy with an unemployment of over 10% and one job opening for every 6 applicants you would be given the benifit of the doubt, I mean how many jobs do you have to apply for in a given amount of time to be considered lagitimate by the court. This is not their case but what if you just did not want to work, what if your work was stressing you out and causeing medical issues could you get a medical exemption (of course this would be near impossible to prove) so what if you just did not want to work. I have heard of horror stories scarier than halloween of cases where a NCP did not want to work a high stress job anymore and took less pay and less stress and was denyed a modification becasue the reduction in pay was volountary even though it was for stress related issues, he would then be forced to unemployment when he was no longer able to get to work and was fired, it just sounds like a super nasty cycle and depending on where you are caught in it at you have to pick a non recipricating nation to go to, I even read on the state departments web site that if you get more than 5K in arrears you can be charged with a felony and thrown in jail. If I dont want to work I should not have to work, I should not be charged with a felony because im unemployed regardless of the reason. If I were in my friends situation this would be enough to give me a heart attack, of course then all you would have to do is not call and abulance and then you would not have to worry about it.

These types of things are very consistant with the end times, and it is very very spooky.

Proserpina

I have actually found a list of recipicating nations on the state department web site so I guess thoes nations would be off the list, none of them are foriegn nationals or anything like that they are US citizens. I know the husband of my friend has a viscious ex who is putting them through this.
Uh...explain once more why your friend shouldn't pay his child support?

Im not sure why they were not able to find work but I would think in this economy with an unemployment of over 10% and one job opening for every 6 applicants you would be given the benifit of the doubt, I mean how many jobs do you have to apply for in a given amount of time to be considered lagitimate by the court.
Considering there are fast food jobs and entry-level jobs still goin' unfilled in virtually every city in this entire country, your friend might be hard pressed to convince a judge he's actually diligently looking for work. But if he can prove that he's genuinely seeking work and just isn't getting anywhere, it will be taken into consideration.

This is not their case but what if you just did not want to work, what if your work was stressing you out and causeing medical issues could you get a medical exemption (of course this would be near impossible to prove) so what if you just did not want to work.
Then you would be imputed a wage. If you were that stressed, you'd be applying for SSI/SSDI and the whole thing would be recalculated. But a simple case of "don't want to work" will result in arrears building up. And we know what happens when that goes on for too long.

I have heard of horror stories scarier than halloween of cases where a NCP did not want to work a high stress job anymore and took less pay and less stress and was denyed a modification becasue the reduction in pay was volountary even though it was for stress related issues,
Did the NCP's children suddenly become less expensive? When you have kids you don't always have the luxury of choosing like that - but then you know this when you have kids. It's not a surprise, it's not a hidden fact, it's pretty basic and pretty simple.

And again, if stress is that much of an issue, the NCP would have medical proof of this, and it may well be taken into consideration.
he would then be forced to unemployment when he was no longer able to get to work and was fired, it just sounds like a super nasty cycle and depending on where you are caught in it at you have to pick a non recipricating nation to go to, I even read on the state departments web site that if you get more than 5K in arrears you can be charged with a felony and thrown in jail.
Why do you think someone can just up and leave and move to a different country just like that? Most countries have rather strict requirements for non-nationals to become residents....y'know? And yes, many of them will deny an application if there are outstanding warrants for non-payment of support.

If I dont want to work I should not have to work, I should not be charged with a felony because im unemployed regardless of the reason. If I were in my friends situation this would be enough to give me a heart attack, of course then all you would have to do is not call and abulance and then you would not have to worry about it.
OK now I know you're not serious. On the offchance that you are, let's break this down. If you want the luxury of choosing whether to work or not work, you must ensure one little thing.

DON'T HAVE CHILDREN.

Because as soon as that little blighter is out and resting on Mommy's tummy, both of you are responsible for that child's welfare and support. Or do you think the child isn't entitled to be supported by both parents?

These types of things are very consistant with the end times, and it is very very spooky.
No, these things are very consistent with deadbeat parents who would prefer to run away than actually support their offspring.

CJane

Hmm. I had no idea that people not wanting to work because it caused stress and they didn't pay their CS had anything at all to do with the endtimes.

rppearso

Uh...explain once more why your friend shouldn't pay his child support?

Considering there are fast food jobs and entry-level jobs still goin' unfilled in virtually every city in this entire country, your friend might be hard pressed to convince a judge he's actually diligently looking for work. But if he can prove that he's genuinely seeking work and just isn't getting anywhere, it will be taken into consideration.

Yes thats true and I am not sure if he is applying for such jobs but even if he did he would have to get the imputed judgement off before he could take such a job otherwise he would be working for no reason because his child support would leave him with no living money and he would likely still be building arrers.

Then you would be imputed a wage. If you were that stressed, you'd be applying for SSI/SSDI and the whole thing would be recalculated. But a simple case of "don't want to work" will result in arrears building up. And we know what happens when that goes on for too long.

Thats a good idea, I am not sure what an SSI/SSDI is but I will let him know, I guess if he had a heart attack and chose not to call anyone then that would probably do it.

Did the NCP's children suddenly become less expensive? When you have kids you don't always have the luxury of choosing like that - but then you know this when you have kids. It's not a surprise, it's not a hidden fact, it's pretty basic and pretty simple.

In times before 1997, children suffered with the job loss of a parent, during the great depression children were not immune from hard times, the only difference now is the courts are creating an artificial situation that was built off of dead beats but now we are going to see a slew more of lay offs and this economic resession is going to test the courts, you also seem pretty heartless to peoples situations but you have given some useful advice.

And again, if stress is that much of an issue, the NCP would have medical proof of this, and it may well be taken into consideration.

Depending on how burdensome the onus of proof is this test or whatever could be irrelvant.

Why do you think someone can just up and leave and move to a different country just like that? Most countries have rather strict requirements for non-nationals to become residents....y'know? And yes, many of them will deny an application if there are outstanding warrants for non-payment of support.

It is difficult but its better than dying.

OK now I know you're not serious. On the offchance that you are, let's break this down. If you want the luxury of choosing whether to work or not work, you must ensure one little thing.

DON'T HAVE CHILDREN.

Because as soon as that little blighter is out and resting on Mommy's tummy, both of you are responsible for that child's welfare and support. Or do you think the child isn't entitled to be supported by both parents?

No, these things are very consistent with deadbeat parents who would prefer to run away than actually support their offspring.
Also what happens if you are fired from your job?

Proserpina

What happens if you are fired from your job?

You hightail it down to the unemployment office and start looking for another, while filing your unemployment claim.

rppearso

Hmm. I had no idea that people not wanting to work because it caused stress and they didn't pay their CS had anything at all to do with the endtimes.
Its not about not wanting to work or pay this or that, its about the courts heavy handedness towards peoples situations, the viciousness with which the courts act is the indicatoin.

Proserpina

Its not about not wanting to work or pay this or that, its about the courts heavy handedness towards peoples situations, the viciousness with which the courts act is the indicatoin.
So, comparitively, how much do you think Dad should be paying? Will his child be eating less? Does it not matter?

rppearso

So, comparitively, how much do you think Dad should be paying? Will his child be eating less? Does it not matter?
Im really not hear to get into a debate about how much is enough to raise a kid becasue there are tons of court orders for amounts that are way more than is nessicary to raise a kid, but thats not what im asking about. I dont think people should have to pay if they dont have an income, thats the issue here.

rppearso

What happens if you are fired from your job?

You hightail it down to the unemployment office and start looking for another, while filing your unemployment claim.
Yea I agree but that is sometimes MUCH easier to say than to do (and by "do" I mean acutally securing employment) when I graduated with my engineering degree (mind you an engineering degree not a basket weaving degree) it took me a year to find a job and I had a file folder full of denial letters. It is possible to not be able to find work for a VERY long time in rough economy and it is heartless and inhumane to declair someone a dead beat that is going through this, I was simply looking for what the legal avenues were for such situations not for a bunch of rehetoric. Could you claim the judge was unfair and request a change in the judge maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">