• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income to be claimed on FAFSA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VSPeck1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My grandson is filling out his financial aid form. Since he was temporarily removed from his parents home and therefore technically a ward of the courts after he turned 13, the Dept of Education has informed him he can file as an independent student, even though his time there was not permanent. The question he has now is that last year his father was his "payee" for his social security until he turned 18. After he turned 18, the checks started coming directly to him, but when he got his statement from Social Security, they reported the amount for the entire year. He had lived with me but his father did not give him the money from the social security checks he was receiving on his behalf. According to the IRS he does not have to pay taxes on this social security as his income was less than $9000.00 including the social security and his part time job. Does he have to report the entire amount on his FAFSA? It may not make any difference as I am guessing with an income of less than $9000.00 he will still qualify for a lot of financial aid, but he will need all he can get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">