• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inconsistent termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ebucher

I am in Oklahoma. I think my company is going to offer me severence pay tomorrow. I want to know what I should do or what steps I should take. Here is a brief rundown.
I have worked for this company since October 1998. I was hired as a Supervisor and one of the Supervisors that was with the company before me didn't like the fact that I was hired on to the same level as them. She is now in a step higher position and has used this to her advantage to put me under a microscope and find any reason that she can to get me fired. The way that they or her look at me is not consistent with the way they look at the other supervisors and it has meant me not getting promoted with the other supervisors to a new position that was created for us with a good salary increase. At one point, I was written up for some stuff that really amounted to nothing. Things that I could probably prove I didn't do or prove that they are things that all supervisors do as we were told to do it that way. Anyway, it is now to the point where I have to talk with our HR Director
tomorrow and I believe I will be offered a severance package of some type. I know they have not been consistent with me and I don't want to just roll over and leave, I want to know what rights I have as they are very inconsistent with what they are doing to me now. Can anyone help me with what I should do from here? Do I have a case? What should I do if they offer me something tomorrow? What type of proof would I need? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.........

L

loku

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, etc. or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different.

Another thing that could help you is if the company has a set policy, which they violated in your case. If the policy is in a handbook, or publicly posted, so much the better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">