• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect DD-214

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband is deployed with the GA National Guard. Before he left, he was relieved from AGR status and given a DD-214. We just found out the DD214 is incorrect.

They took his NET ACTIVE SERVICE THIS PERIOD and added it to the TOTAL PRIOR ACTIVE SERVICE.

It is my understanding that you add these two together to get his total active service. Correct?

The DD214 shows 2y 5m 18 days for NET ACTIVE SERVICE THIS PERIOD
16y 7m 21 days for TOTAL PRIOR ACTIVE SERVICE

As of August he will have 22 years, inactive and active service.

He was told that they really were not intersted in any of the other figures except the Net when they filled this out in December.

Can we make them stick by this DD214 or will it be corrected?

Your post is somewhat confusing. A DD Fm 214 is issued when a service member is separated from active duty. It should indicate the following in item 12 - date entered active duty (only for the period reported by that DD Fm 214); date separated from active duty; years, months, days for this period; years, months, days of PRIOR active duty (from all previous 214s); years, months, days of PRIOR inactive duty. There is NO total listed on the 214, you have to add those 3 items--current active duty, prior active duty & prior inactive duty--for a service member's total service.

Of course, if any of the 3 items are not correct, he should provide his previous DD Fm 214s and other service contracts and request a correction--DD Form 215.

My husband is AGR, which is a full-time branch of the National Guard.

Active Guard and Reserve (AGR)

AGR soldiers are full-time military National Guard staff
within the state that support the National Guard, even
when the units are not mobilized. They are on Title 32
active duty. AGRs are transferred from Title 32 active duty
status to Title 10 active duty status when mobilized.

In order to be released from the AGR program for Federal duty, they have to give him a DD214.(Very confusing)

I know that you have to add items 12c.Net Active Service this period, 12d.Total Prior Active Service and 12e.Total Prior Inactive Service for the a servicemembers total service.

However, I am not looking for total service. I am looking for retirement years.

Which should be the total of 12d and 12e.

My question is, if HRO completed this form incorrectly, because they were in a hurry and did not want to fact check, is this form concrete or will they just issue a correction?Even though he is NG, he still considered a full-timer and receives retirement credits as regular army. He can retire at 20 and receive his full retirement pay.

fozzy2

It apparently wasn't just HRO that was in a hurry. The servicemember signs that document as well. As with many important pieces of paper people are well advised not to just sign whatever is put in front of them without carefully reading/checking it.

If there is any mistake that works to the disadvantage of the government, when it is discovered you can expect a DD-215 to be issued. The DD-215 is basically a correction to the DD-214. If the mistake works to your disadvantage, you will probably have to petition to have a DD-215 issued, which can be, in official words "troublesome and time consuming." Even if it is troublesome and time consuming, I'd look into getting a DD-215 issued if there are any discrepancies between the DD-214 and the actual service record. It is an important document, and mistakes might sneak up and kick you when you can ill afford it.

Tankerwife said:
In order to be released from the AGR program for Federal duty, they have to give him a DD214.(Very confusing)

No I understood that, even though remaining on active duty, he changed components, that is why a DD Form 214 was issued.

I know that you have to add items 12c.Net Active Service this period, 12d.Total Prior Active Service and 12e.Total Prior Inactive Service for the a servicemembers total service.

However, I am not looking for total service. I am looking for retirement years.

Which should be the total of 12d and 12e.

No, not necessarily. It depends on the type of retirement your husband will eventually file for. If he wants to retire and draw an immediate retirement, he is eligible after complete 20 years of ACTIVE duty. Retirement points earned during periods of inactive service wb counted towards computation of retired pay. Example-NG soldier originally serves 8 yrs active, after discharge joins the NG. Over next 10 years, serves w/NG unit, including several long deployments. Goes into IRR for two years, then pulls two 3 yr AGR tours. Soldier now has 26 yrs total service, 24 yrs of qualifying for a reserve retirement, but only 19 yrs of ACTIVE duty, He will have to complete 1 more year of ACTIVE duty to retire and immediate receive his retirement. Computation of retired pay wb active service + retirement points earned during reserve time (day per point). Otherwise, he is only eligible for a reserve retirement which is not payable until age 60.

My question is, if HRO completed this form incorrectly, because they were in a hurry and did not want to fact check, is this form concrete or will they just issue a correction?Even though he is NG, he still considered a full-timer and receives retirement credits as regular army. He can retire at 20 and receive his full retirement pay.
A correction, if needed, can be requested (DD Fm 215); however, your husband will have to provide supporting documents--other 214s, DD Fm 4s, etc., that substantiate his times of service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">