• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inherited car help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rnkellylynn

Colorado.
My father recently died. Mom is still alive. He had many assets and property in both his and my mother's name. However, he had 2 cars. The one he drove, and a vintage car for fun. Both of these were in his name only. The vintage car was willed to my husband in my father's legal will. However, it was only titled to my dad, and my mom doesn't want to deal with probate. She wants my dad's signature...filled in and backdated on the title to before his death. She feels it isn't a problem since intended ownership was not in question by anyone in the family, and is in the legal will. The question is.. does this seem like a simple solution or a can of worms? Regarding his other (driving) car with no specification in the will... Obviously, it would transfer to mom if she went thru probate, but again, she would rather sell it cheap to one of her other children using the above stated method. This seems like an even slipperier slope. Comments? Suggestions?

tranquility

Felonies can often make things easier, until you get caught.

Probate is the way to transfer the vehicle, you can open probate if you want. Many states allow for transfer by affidavit, you can see if your state will allow this under your facts.

rnkellylynn

Yes, Tranquility. It was clear from the start that it would not be legal:/ Neither, though, was it immoral in the sense that it is specified in the legal will. However, we realize, also, that titling would require either gift letter or bill of sale. Too many more signatures needed that takes it out of the simple and into the complex.

Curb1, Dad died 2 weeks ago, and we have not yet looked into DMV instructions. Probably the first place to start.

Thanks, all, for your input!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">